Author Topic: How to Synch Structured Keyword Libraries on 2 Macs  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Bryont

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to Synch Structured Keyword Libraries on 2 Macs
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:34:35 AM »
I use 2 Macs to manage my photos with PM 4.5.3 and the photos are stored on a NAS. How do I synch the structured keywords library on both Macs? Where is the structured keywords library located? I have a couple of ideas in solving this problem. Which is the recommended approach?

1) Place the structured keywords on the NAS and then point PM on Mac 1 and Mac 2 to that location
2) Synchronize the structured keywords library using www.foldershare.com. That way, both structured keywords libraries would reside on each local Mac and that would be synched. Will I run into any issues with locked files while PM is running?

My preference is for option 1, but I could get option 2 to work. In fact, I am already successfully using FolderShare synching for other files. Or do I have to manually save and then import the keywords library from Mac 1 to Mac 2 using PM? Would it be easier to use PM's keyword libraries--not the structured keyword libraries?

Many thanks for your help.

Bryon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to Synch Structured Keyword Libraries on 2 Macs
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:43:56 AM »
Bryon,

I use 2 Macs to manage my photos with PM 4.5.3 and the photos are stored on a NAS. How do I synch the structured keywords library on both Macs? Where is the structured keywords library located? I have a couple of ideas in solving this problem. Which is the recommended approach?

1) Place the structured keywords on the NAS and then point PM on Mac 1 and Mac 2 to that location
2) Synchronize the structured keywords library using www.foldershare.com. That way, both structured keywords libraries would reside on each local Mac and that would be synched. Will I run into any issues with locked files while PM is running?

My preference is for option 1, but I could get option 2 to work. In fact, I am already successfully using FolderShare synching for other files. Or do I have to manually save and then import the keywords library from Mac 1 to Mac 2 using PM? Would it be easier to use PM's keyword libraries--not the structured keyword libraries?

All you need to do is use the Merge button on Mac 1 to open the structured keywords file from Mac 2.  Then save the keywords to a new file which you would then use the Load button on Mac 2 to open.

Now both machines would have the same set of structured keywords.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Bryont

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »
Kirk--
Thanks for the quick response. Instead of manually using the Merge and Load buttons, I would like to configure PM once and then "forget it". The only ways that I could think of doing this were the 2 options that I mentioned in my first post. What do you suggest?

Many thanks,

Bryon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »
Bryon,

Thanks for the quick response. Instead of manually using the Merge and Load buttons, I would like to configure PM once and then "forget it". The only ways that I could think of doing this were the 2 options that I mentioned in my first post. What do you suggest?

That's just not possible.  PM keeps its own file in the preferences folder that contains the current data.  When you make a change and then quit the program, that file is updated.  The next time you start up PM again, it loads the data from its own file again.  Keeping your file on a server somewhere won't do anything automatically.  You'd still have to use the Save button to save back to your central file.  And then you'd have to use the Load button to load from your central file.

-Kirk