Author Topic: Several folders in one folder  (Read 4404 times)

Offline JS

• View Profile
Several folders in one folder
« on: February 08, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
Hi,

does this not work if the files are on an extern drive?I'm using MacOs X.4.11.

regards
Johann

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Several folders in one folder
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »
Johann,

does this not work if the files are on an extern drive?I'm using MacOs X.4.11.

It does not matter where the files are located: CD, DVD, external drive, network drive, etc. all work the same.  If what you're expecting is to open one folder and see all of the sub-folders in a single Contact Sheet, you can do this, but you need to use the contextual menu from the Navigator or the Favorites to open the folder and all of its sub-folders in a single Contact Sheet.  Just right-click (or Control-click on a single button mouse) on the folder you want to view and choose "Open Folder and Subfolders in new Contact Sheet" or "Open Folder and Subfolders in replacing Contact Sheet" and it will open as I think you're wanting.

Note however if this is the root of your hard drive containing a hundred thousand images, you may have problems browsing such a large Contact Sheet.  Photo Mechanic may become slow and use a fair amount of memory.  If you're going to do this you should increase the Memory Cache in Photo Mechanic to at least 256 MB or 512 MB if you have several GB of RAM on your system.  You can change these settings on the Caching tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:29:53 AM »
Kirk,

thanks for reply.I do exactly what You wrote.But it doesn't work.There is always one folder opening only.It worked well sometimes,I don't know why.My "system" is:I  have a folder "India",subfolders are like 070129,070130 and so on.I click on 070129 to open,then rightclick on 070130 to open in the same contactsheet,but it just replaces the 070129.Maybe it works if I click on "India",but then it opens all subfolders,what I don't want.

regards
Johann

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »
Johann,

thanks for reply.I do exactly what You wrote.But it doesn't work.There is always one folder opening only.It worked well sometimes,I don't know why.My "system" is:I  have a folder "India",subfolders are like 070129,070130 and so on.I click on 070129 to open,then rightclick on 070130 to open in the same contactsheet,but it just replaces the 070129.Maybe it works if I click on "India",but then it opens all subfolders,what I don't want.

Can you post a screen shot of a Finder window showing the directory structure of what it is that you want to open?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 07:43:02 AM »
Kirk,

it works well now.I don't know why.By the way:Where does PM store the snapshot-iptc-panels?I want to erase some.

Have a nice sunday
Johann

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
Johann,

it works well now.I don't know why.By the way:Where does PM store the snapshot-iptc-panels?I want to erase some.

Hold down the Option key while you choose one of the Snapshots.  The Finder will come forward and show you the window.  If you're on Windows, hold down the Shift key instead.

From there you can copy/rename/delete the snapshot files.

-Kirk