Author Topic: Nikon D300 Raw  (Read 6509 times)

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nikon D300 Raw
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »
I am running 4.5.3 of PM and using a D300 raw images. When I set the color class in PM then edit the file in Capture NX - the color class is reset back in PM. Is this an NX or PM issue?

Kevin

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Nikon D300 Raw
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:38:00 AM »
Kevin, are you actually saving the colour class to the file?  What setting is "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP" on?

Maybe that is the culprit...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:09:15 AM »
Kevin,

I am running 4.5.3 of PM and using a D300 raw images. When I set the color class in PM then edit the file in Capture NX - the color class is reset back in PM. Is this an NX or PM issue?

It sounds like Capture NX is rewriting the file and is losing Photo Mechanic's soft-edits.  These are usually stored at the end of the file.  They can also be stored in IPTC data, so on the Files tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, please set the "Add tag, color class and rating to IPTC/XMP" to "For all photos".

Then once you update your files (you could just toggle their Tag checkboxes or update their IPTC data with the IPTC Stationery Pad), the soft-edits will be stored inside the IPTC/XMP data which Capture NX will maintain through its edit process.

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »
Thanks! That fixed it!

Kevin

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »
Well, it seems to have come back. I checked the preferences and the solution you provided is still there. I just loaded the latest version of PM and running 1.3.3 of NX. Some it saves the color on and some it does not (no, I am not crazy...). Any other thoughts??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:41:23 AM »
Well, it seems to have come back. I checked the preferences and the solution you provided is still there. I just loaded the latest version of PM and running 1.3.3 of NX. Some it saves the color on and some it does not (no, I am not crazy...). Any other thoughts??

If you want to send me a file that has lost its data I would be happy to look into it.

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »
Update - I went back to 4.4.3.3 (unloaded then clear folders and validated I was running 4.4.3.3) and problem is gone away. I had tagged pictures with colors THEN upgraded to 4.5.3.1 and the problem started. It seemed that if I did not change the color - edited the picture in NX then came back, the color tag was there. When I changed the color tag and edited the picture - the color tag was reset to nothing when I came back from NX.

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »
Kevin,

Update - I went back to 4.4.3.3 (unloaded then clear folders and validated I was running 4.4.3.3) and problem is gone away. I had tagged pictures with colors THEN upgraded to 4.5.3.1 and the problem started. It seemed that if I did not change the color - edited the picture in NX then came back, the color tag was there. When I changed the color tag and edited the picture - the color tag was reset to nothing when I came back from NX.

OK, is this resolved or is there still a problem?

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »
I must be losing my mind.... I put 4.5.3.1 back in (after downgrading) and the problem had not come back.... weird....

Thanks anyway!

Kevin