Author Topic: Any way to advance fullsize previews while stepping through metadata?  (Read 16177 times)

Offline Neil MacAvoy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

Maybe there's already a way to do this, but so far I haven't figured it out, so I'm going to go out on a limb and call it a feature request.

My typical flow is to apply bulk metadata to all of the photos in the contact sheet. I then start with the first one and use the 'I' key to bring up the metadata and make any shot-specific changes. I like to use the kbd shortcuts to then step through the whole sheet.  I look at the small preview in the metadata menu to figure out what fields / keywords to set, but all this time the fullscreen preview is stuck on the first image I was working on. In 80% of the cases, the small preview gives me enough to figure out what I'm doing, but in 20% of the time, I need to exit out of the flow, find the current shot I'm working on and look at it fullscreen to see exactly which people are in it.

So the feature request would be: when I advance to the next shot's metadata, in addition to giving me the small preview, could you have an option of also advancing the fullscreen preview behind the pop-up window that I'm working in?

-Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

Maybe there's already a way to do this, but so far I haven't figured it out, so I'm going to go out on a limb and call it a feature request.

My typical flow is to apply bulk metadata to all of the photos in the contact sheet. I then start with the first one and use the 'I' key to bring up the metadata and make any shot-specific changes. I like to use the kbd shortcuts to then step through the whole sheet.  I look at the small preview in the metadata menu to figure out what fields / keywords to set, but all this time the fullscreen preview is stuck on the first image I was working on. In 80% of the cases, the small preview gives me enough to figure out what I'm doing, but in 20% of the time, I need to exit out of the flow, find the current shot I'm working on and look at it fullscreen to see exactly which people are in it.

So the feature request would be: when I advance to the next shot's metadata, in addition to giving me the small preview, could you have an option of also advancing the fullscreen preview behind the pop-up window that I'm working in?

That's an interesting idea.  So you are bringing up the IPTC Info dialog from within the Preview window then?

Yeah, I could probably get that to work.

-Kirk

Offline Neil MacAvoy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

That's an interesting idea.  So you are bringing up the IPTC Info dialog from within the Preview window then?

Yeah, I could probably get that to work.

-Kirk

Yes, that's what I'm doing. If you could add a way to advance preview at the same time, that would be very cool.

-Neil

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
I have same "procedure" as Neil does. And just as Neil wrote in most cases small thumbnail is enough. But sometimes (especially since I shoot lot of skiing where skiers bibs are not all that huge and most of times even partitialy covered) I need to switch to preview to find what number particular skier is. It's not all that bad now, but I agree with Neil, it would be even nicer if preview could go forward together when advancing into IPTC info window. And as for Neil same goes for me too, in most of cases I bring up IPTC Info windows from Preview too.

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
Kirk...same thing here. or make that PREVIEW much larger (resizable)? 

D
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
Please it would help these old eyes - either resizeable preview or as the others have requested.

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
Hi,

could you have an option of also advancing the fullscreen preview behind the pop-up window that I'm working in

Just like IMatch? This would be really useful when captioning group shots.

-- Robert.

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
So you are bringing up the IPTC Info dialog from within the Preview window then?

That's how I change individual captions too, after applying a job-generic caption upon ingest, so this would be a great improvment for me too.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
So you are bringing up the IPTC Info dialog from within the Preview window then?

That's how I change individual captions too, after applying a job-generic caption upon ingest, so this would be a great improvment for me too.

OK, everyone I hear you loud and clear. ;)

This will be implemented.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Just to beat a dead horse a bit more, I thought I would offer a suggestion to the people reading this thread.

I use two monitors on my main PC for sorting images.  What I have found for putting IPTC data in is to first set PM to have the LARGEST thumbnails in the contact sheet window. On my monitor, it is usually two thumbnails side-by-side at the largest setting (YMMV).  Then, I do a "I" to open the IPTC dialog on the first image and drag the IPTC dialog box to the second monitor.

As I move throught PM using the ALT+[ or ALT+] shortcut keys, I see that the contact sheet moves along with me to display the image currently in the IPTC dialog.  More accurately, it shows the ROW of thumbnails (2 in my case) containting the image in the IPTC dialog display.  It is not highlighted and if I close the IPTC dialog, it goes back to the first image (or whichever one was highlighted when I clicked "I").  All I do now is to memorize the image number before I close the IPTC dialog and then manually move to that image.

I found that this technique lets me code more like 90-95% of the images without having to leave the IPTC dialog and then zoom in to read a bib number.

I would love the ability to zoom in from the IPTC dialog preview, but will settle for the ability for the highlighted contact sheet image to follow along with what is being viewed in the IPTC dialog.  That way, when I do need to zoom in, I don't have to remember which image I stopped with in the IPTC preview.

Thanks.

-Mike
Fairfield Photography, LLC

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
Re: Any way to advance fullsize previews while stepping through metadata?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 08:49:51 AM »
Just to beat a dead horse a bit more, I thought I would offer a suggestion to the people reading this thread.

I use two monitors on my main PC for sorting images.  What I have found for putting IPTC data in is to first set PM to have the LARGEST thumbnails in the contact sheet window. On my monitor, it is usually two thumbnails side-by-side at the largest setting (YMMV).  Then, I do a "I" to open the IPTC dialog on the first image and drag the IPTC dialog box to the second monitor.

Mike:

Your suggestion is nice if you are working from the office.  But 90% of the time, in my case and probably in many others, we are working from a single laptop in a press box or coffee house with free WiFi.  Yeah, may be taking two laptops would be nice, but a lot of media rooms don't have that kinda space for one and two, I'd liked to hump as little gear as possible to and from a game location.

Kirk:

I posted a similar note about this last month.  Thanks for adding this feature.  Looking forward to it.  When do you think we might expect it?   Thanks for producing a great program.

- W 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Any way to advance fullsize previews while stepping through metadata?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 10:39:31 AM »
I posted a similar note about this last month.  Thanks for adding this feature.  Looking forward to it.  When do you think we might expect it?   Thanks for producing a great program.

I haven't yet added it.  I don't have a schedule for its addition.

-Kirk