Author Topic: Rotation in 4.5.3 not showing in Capture nx  (Read 8622 times)

Offline Whatlarks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rotation in 4.5.3 not showing in Capture nx
« on: February 10, 2008, 12:42:49 PM »
Just upgraded from 4.5.2 to 4.5.3 and noticed that Nikon D100 raw files rotated in PM no longer show as rotated in Capture nx (1.2.0).

I have rechecked 4.5.2 and this has definitely been broken by the upgrade to 4.5.3.

Can you help?

many thanks,
Ian

Versions:
Windows XP SP2
Capture nx 1.2.0
Camera Nikon D100

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rotation in 4.5.3 not showing in Capture nx
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »
Ian,

Just upgraded from 4.5.2 to 4.5.3 and noticed that Nikon D100 raw files rotated in PM no longer show as rotated in Capture nx (1.2.0).

I have rechecked 4.5.2 and this has definitely been broken by the upgrade to 4.5.3.

We'll look into it.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
Ian,

Found the problem and it will be fixed for 4.5.3.1.  Thanks for the heads-up.

BTW - The D100 doesn't write a TIFF rotation tag for us to update (at least not firmware 1.0) and so there is no way for us to change the rotation so that Capture NX (or other applications) will see it, other than rewriting the NEF file which we don't do.  I assume that if you save a NEF from Capture NX of a D100, it will probably include the rotation tag which we could then update.

--dennis

Offline Whatlarks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Dennis ... glad to be of help.

Yes the first thing I do after ingest is to run a batch process in Capture nx to add some sharpening and, more importantly, produce a larger preview jpeg for PM to utilize. Presumably I have also created the tiff rotation tag, because I then do my initial quality check and rotate the portrait shots and this normally works fine in both Capture nx and PM.

Have you any idea when the fix will be released ... just a ball park figure so that I know whether to revert to 4.5.2 for the present.

kind regards,
Ian

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
I have the same problem with D200 files; this is not unique to D100 files, apparently.  Just making sure we will all get our NX rotation back  ;D

Neil

Offline Whatlarks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »
Just downloaded 4.5.3.1 but unfortunately the rotation problem does not appear to have been resolved. For the moment I have returned to 4.5.2 which works fine.

regards,
Ian

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »
Just downloaded 4.5.3.1 but unfortunately the rotation problem does not appear to have been resolved. For the moment I have returned to 4.5.2 which works fine.

Ian,

It looks fixed to me, both Mac and Windows.

Are you sure you got the latest build?  The installer filename (on Windows) should be PMSetup4.5.3.1b0213.exe.

--dennis

Offline Whatlarks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »
It looks fixed to me, both Mac and Windows.

Are you sure you got the latest build?  The installer filename (on Windows) should be PMSetup4.5.3.1b0213.exe.

Well, I am currently using 4.5.2 and that works fine. I have checked the version I downloaded and it is as above.

Just to be sure, I have again installed 4.5.3.1 over the top of 4.5.2 and rotated photos definitely do not appear rotated in capture nx. I have tried both the original raw file and one  re-saved in Capture nx, to no avail.

Over to you ;D
Ian

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 04:09:57 PM »
Well, I am currently using 4.5.2 and that works fine. I have checked the version I downloaded and it is as above.

Just to be sure, I have again installed 4.5.3.1 over the top of 4.5.2 and rotated photos definitely do not appear rotated in capture nx. I have tried both the original raw file and one  re-saved in Capture nx, to no avail.

Ian,

As I mentioned, the original D100 NEF files don't have a rotation tag that we can update (at least in 1.0 firmware), so I don't understand how 4.5.2 could work with NX (or PS/ACR) on an original NEF from that camera.  By "original NEF" I mean a file that was copied by hand directly from the CF card to your HD.  What camera firmware are you using on your D100?  I may need you to send us an "original" RAW file that has been rotated by the latest 4.5.3.1 beta.  I'm concerned that you may be using an older 4.5.3.1 beta which did not have this fix.  Maybe you can tell me the date/time of the PM EXE file you are launching (watch out for a bogus shortcut)?

--dennis

Offline Whatlarks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:02:49 PM »

As I mentioned, the original D100 NEF files don't have a rotation tag that we can update (at least in 1.0 firmware), so I don't understand how 4.5.2 could work with NX (or PS/ACR) on an original NEF from that camera.  By "original NEF" I mean a file that was copied by hand directly from the CF card to your HD.  What camera firmware are you using on your D100?  I may need you to send us an "original" RAW file that has been rotated by the latest 4.5.3.1 beta.  I'm concerned that you may be using an older 4.5.3.1 beta which did not have this fix.  Maybe you can tell me the date/time of the PM EXE file you are launching (watch out for a bogus shortcut)?

Ok, I think we need to recap on this to make sure that we are focusing on the same issue ....

Firstly versions:-

Windows XP SP2
Nikon Capture NX ver 1.2.0
D100 firmware v2.0

I may have slightly misled you with my last post. I agree that the D100 nef raw file, straight out of the camera, does NOT show as rotated in capture nx for the reasons you state.

However, as I stated earlier, the first thing I do after ingest is to run a capture nx batch process on the raw files. This process adds a bit of USM and re-saves the nef file in a different directory; the main reason for doing this is to create a larger preview in the nef file for PM to display, but it presumably also creates the rotation tag. It is this processed nef file that when rotated in PM suddenly stopped showing as rotated in nx, as of 4.5.3

I have now re-downloaded the 4.5.3.1, and can confirm that this problem has not been fixed here.

Is it worthwhile my sending you two copies of a nef file. One rotated in 4.5.2 and the other rotated in 4.5.3.1?

Let me know what you want me to do next,

Ian

Offline Whatlarks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 01:24:41 AM »
Maybe you can tell me the date/time of the PM EXE file you are launching (watch out for a bogus shortcut)?

Sorry, I forgot to add this ... 13th Feb 2008 .. 07:21

Ian

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »
Ian,

I found the problem.  It was due to Capture NX storing 3 different rotation tags (!).  In version 4.5.2, we only updated the last one found (which is the rotation for the RAW data which is what Capture NX pays attention to).  In 4.5.3, we made some changes to support certain JPEGs that had an additional rotation for the Exif thumbnail, and this essentially broke the Capture NX NEFs (but not NEFs from the camera).  So now I made PM handle up to 4 rotation tags now.  Hopefully that should work for the foreseeable future.  It solved the problem with the sample files you sent me.  This fix will be in the final 4.5.3.1 but it isn't in the public beta.

--dennis