Author Topic: Use of {index} and {total} variable ?  (Read 4671 times)

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
Use of {index} and {total} variable ?
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »
Kirk,

I have found out about the {index} and {total} variables while reading different posts. My understanding of those variables is :

if I select let’s say 5 images, apply a given "save as” setting and ask for a rename string including for example {filename}_{index}of{total} the result would be something like …1of5, …2of5, …3of5, …4of5, …5of5.

The result is different then expected. I get the 1of... , 2of...  but the {total} number is anywhere from 15 to 30 ??? I still selected only 5 images.

I have tried the same rename string in the Rename Photos menu item and it works OK, why not in a save as dialog ??

I'm using PM 4.5.3 on a MacBookPro with Leopard 10.5.1.

Thanks

Hugo Aubert

Follow UP:

OK, I have found out a bit more - on my 2 machines (the MacBookPro w/OS 10.5.1 and the G5 tower w/OS 10.4.11) my rename string of {filename}_{index}of{total} is behaving differently. If I ask for a simple rename it will work OK, if I ask for a copy/rename, it will work OK also, if I FTP/rename it works OK, BUT if I “save as/rename” then the {total} variable will be 5x the selected image number. Eg.: 4 images selected, rename results : … 1of20, … 2of20, …3of20, …4of20.  Eg #2, 6 images selected, results : …1of30, …2of30, …3of30…..

Any hints ??

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:49:53 AM by hsaphoto »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Use of {index} and {total} variable ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »
Hugo,

I have found out about the {index} and {total} variables while reading different posts. My understanding of those variables is :

if I select let’s say 5 images, apply a given "save as” setting and ask for a rename string including for example {filename}_{index}of{total} the result would be something like …1of5, …2of5, …3of5, …4of5, …5of5.

The result is different then expected. I get the 1of... , 2of...  but the {total} number is anywhere from 15 to 30 ??? I still selected only 5 images.

I have tried the same rename string in the Rename Photos menu item and it works OK, why not in a save as dialog ??

{total} was mainly meant to be used in the printing dialogs and the Send Photos via email dialog.  We should make it work in other dialogs that work with a selection.  I'll look into that.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »
This would be great and could be used in the title of the preview window to be informed how far the end is. Even the filmstrip is only an approximate but no detailed info - of course if the variable would work one can use it in the info text, that would help...
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »
This would be great and could be used in the title of the preview window to be informed how far the end is. Even the filmstrip is only an approximate but no detailed info - of course if the variable would work one can use it in the info text, that would help...

I had no plans to make the {total} variable (or {index}) be used in the Preview window.

-Kirk

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:16:27 AM »
Kirk,

I support the latest post, it would be great to have the {index} of {total} info at the top of the preview window, or at least a way of customizing this info to our taste. I’ll post it in the requested feature forum.

Hugo

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 02:14:08 AM »
I had no plans to make the {total} variable (or {index}) be used in the Preview window.

I half meant it a suggestion. So my original post should read "it is great you are open to add {total} and {index} other uses with selection....and it would be an even better thing if it could be seen in the title of the preview window where one is with current croppings, but it could be solved using the info text if the two variables could be used at least there."

Keep up the great work, and thanks for everyhing!
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:10:04 AM »
Hugo,

{total} was mainly meant to be used in the printing dialogs and the Send Photos via email dialog.  We should make it work in other dialogs that work with a selection.  I'll look into that.

Update: we'll be adding this in the 4.6 release version.

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 03:08:07 AM »
I was just going to request the use of {index} and {total} in the Preview window as well..  It's not something that strikes many people as being very important, but since switching to Mac and not being able to use BreezeBrowser Pro any more, I do miss it a lot!
(Tip: BreezeBrowser also tells you how many images are tagged, which is another handy feature..  useful when making a tight selection for a picture desk so you don't get carried away)...

eg:
Image 32 of 38 (7 tagged)

PS: Kirk - THANK YOU for adding variables to the FTP directory!!!!
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/