Author Topic: Code Replacements  (Read 8403 times)

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Code Replacements
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:24:45 AM »
I am trying to set up copde replacement without success. I have created a text file with all team members ie /QPRM/ Luigi De Canio
/QPR1/ Lee Camp, /QPR2/ Marcus Bignot etc. I have pointed PM to the  code replacement txt file but when I try to insert it in my IPTC captioning it remains whatever I had typed in ie /qprm/ withdraws /qpr2/.

What am I doing wrong  :'(

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code Replacements
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:50:29 AM »
Graham,

I am trying to set up copde replacement without success. I have created a text file with all team members ie /QPRM/ Luigi De Canio
/QPR1/ Lee Camp, /QPR2/ Marcus Bignot etc. I have pointed PM to the  code replacement txt file but when I try to insert it in my IPTC captioning it remains whatever I had typed in ie /qprm/ withdraws /qpr2/.

What am I doing wrong  :'(

Just remove all of the '/' characters from your file.  Make sure that a 'tab' character separates the code from the replacement.

Then it should work just fine.

-Kirk

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
also, the default key for code replacement is the "\" key, not "/"
so unless you changed the default, use the backslash.

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:34:09 AM »

Make sure that a 'tab' character separates the code from the replacement.

-Kirk

Is that like creating a column or something? Sorry could you explain how this is done, I'm just a one fingured typist with a couple of cameras!  :'(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:35:54 AM by Graham Taylor »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:08:04 AM »
Graham,

Make sure that a 'tab' character separates the code from the replacement.

Is that like creating a column or something? Sorry could you explain how this is done, I'm just a one fingured typist with a couple of cameras!  :'(

First you type your code then press the Tab key, then you type in your replacement string, then you press Enter to begin a new line.

Repeat until you have entered in all of your codes and replacements.  Then save the file.  If you're entering accented characters, you need to save the text file with UTF-8 encoding.  There are several free text editors for both Mac OS X and Windows that can read and write UTF-8 text files.

If you need a list of available applications, please let me know.

-Kirk

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 01:57:57 AM »
Sorry for the delay but have been away.Here is a sample of code I created:
mcm   sven Goran Eriksson
mc1    Nicky Weaver
mcm is seperated by "tab" but still cannot get it to work. I've saved the file in notepad. When I type in the code it just shows same as I typed. Have also tried using "\" aswell. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »
Graham,

Sorry for the delay but have been away.Here is a sample of code I created:
mcm   sven Goran Eriksson
mc1    Nicky Weaver
mcm is seperated by "tab" but still cannot get it to work. I've saved the file in notepad. When I type in the code it just shows same as I typed. Have also tried using "\" aswell. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

What is the "Delimiter Character" currently set to in your Code Replacement dialog?  It is that character that you need to type before and after your code.  So if your "Delimiter Character" is "\" then to use your first example you'll need to type:

\mcm\

...into a field like the IPTC Caption field and you should see "sven Goran Eriksson" replace the \mcm\ that you typed.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »
Thanks Kirk.
I have rewritten everything again and for some reason it now works. Not sure what I had done before but all ok now.
Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »
Graham,

Thanks Kirk.
I have rewritten everything again and for some reason it now works. Not sure what I had done before but all ok now.

That's good to hear!

-Kirk

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 01:58:22 AM »
This is so weird.
I have just typed a whole new team out exactly as above and now wont work. I also tried out the above test again (ie \mcm\ for Sven Goran Eriksson) and now that also wont work! Yet it did when I re-typed and tested before ???

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 06:51:45 AM »
Graham,

This is so weird.
I have just typed a whole new team out exactly as above and now wont work. I also tried out the above test again (ie \mcm\ for Sven Goran Eriksson) and now that also wont work! Yet it did when I re-typed and tested before ???

If you would like to send me your text file, I'd be happy to take a look at it.  Click on my name to the left of this message and then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with an email address you can send the file as an attachment to.

Just to reiterate what you need to do to make Code Replacement work:

The file format is UTF-8 text.  If you are entering accented characters, UTF-8 is a must.
Codes are in the first column.  A tab character separates the first column from the second column which is the replacement.
The replacement must be followed by a new line (hit return or enter after you type in your replacement text.)

I am guessing that you are not saving your text file in the UTF-8 format and that is why some of your replacements are not working.  There are several free text editors that handle UTF-8 really well.

On Windows, I recommend Notepad2:

http://www.notepad2.com/

On Mac OS X, I recommend TextWrangler:

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

With both of these text editors you will have to make sure that when you load and save your text files you instruct them to use UTF-8 encoding.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »
After you have set up the code replacement text file, you may want to exit PM and restart it to see if that helps.

Deven

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 02:51:55 AM »
Kirk, many thanks for your help. Often when reading the instructions what is understanable by some is not so to us "thickies"  :D Your patience is very much appreciated.

This is a fantastic piece of software and the more you get into it the better it becomes. Only (very) slight gripe is the cropping tool. A better one would be ideal for those of us who work in the field at speed. Maybe add basic exposure and contrast controls would also be a great asset still with Photoshop as an option. Guess this may be the wrong section for this and maybe its been asked before?