Author Topic: Can I keyword for flickr upload using PM?  (Read 5679 times)

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can I keyword for flickr upload using PM?
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:03:28 PM »
I'm a longtime PM user but brand new to Flickr. Is there any way to keyword in PM and have them be recognized in flickr? I am very concerned with the quotation marks getting respected for keywords that are more than one word long. I just tried a third party flickr uploader (photonic) which is in beta, and does support keywords, but it breaks the quotation marks and causes every word to come up as a keyword, i.e. "alamo drafthouse" becomes two keywords, "alamo" and "drafthouse." Thanks for any advice on whether PM can be used to prep the files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can I keyword for flickr upload using PM?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »
I'm a longtime PM user but brand new to Flickr. Is there any way to keyword in PM and have them be recognized in flickr? I am very concerned with the quotation marks getting respected for keywords that are more than one word long. I just tried a third party flickr uploader (photonic) which is in beta, and does support keywords, but it breaks the quotation marks and causes every word to come up as a keyword, i.e. "alamo drafthouse" becomes two keywords, "alamo" and "drafthouse." Thanks for any advice on whether PM can be used to prep the files.

Off hand, I do not know.  If flickr can mine IPTC data or XMP data then it should just work.

We have a flickr uploader planned for 4.6 but it may not make it into the initial release.

-Kirk

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:26:25 AM »
Update for others reading this:

I tried PM on my latest flickr upload.

If you put your keywords into the "keywords" field of the IPTC notepad in PM, flickr will mine them on import. Works great with quotation marks.

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:25:43 PM »
Despite my previous success, I have found a bug in the way that the PM stationary pad handles quotation marks. This is probably some kind of text encoding issue, but I'm not particularly good at finding those, so I ask Kirk's help here...

If I type this string into the stationary pad directly (keywords field):

Barack Obama 08 "Town Hall Meeting" Austin Texas Democrats

After upload to flickr (via default web upload interface in Safari), the same string has mutated to:

"Barack Obama 08 Town" Hall "Meeting Austin Texas Democrats"

In other words, it has added an extra set of quotation marks which I did not type. For flickr purposes this is obviously bad.

During my previous success, I was uploading from a Leopard startup volume, did my PM tagging in Leopard, and used a third-party standalone uploader. This time, when the issue occurs, I am in Tiger and using Flickr's most basic default web interface.

An additional factor during my success was that I typed my keywords into BBEdit first, then pasted into PM. Users of BBEdit will know that it sometimes has the effect of magically cleansing invisible text encoding problems. However, in this case adding that step to my Tiger flow did not help. My text encoding in Tiger is set to Mac Roman, which I assume is the default, because it's not something I would ever touch.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »
David,

Despite my previous success, I have found a bug in the way that the PM stationary pad handles quotation marks. This is probably some kind of text encoding issue, but I'm not particularly good at finding those, so I ask Kirk's help here...

If I type this string into the stationary pad directly (keywords field):

Barack Obama 08 "Town Hall Meeting" Austin Texas Democrats

After upload to flickr (via default web upload interface in Safari), the same string has mutated to:

"Barack Obama 08 Town" Hall "Meeting Austin Texas Democrats"

I don't see how that could even be possible.  What if you open up that image in Photoshop and view the File Info for that photo?  What do you see then?

-Kirk