Author Topic: Ratings disappear after editing with Nikon Capture NX  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ratings disappear after editing with Nikon Capture NX
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »
I have read similar threads regarding Nikon Capture NX, but nothing that addresses this specific problem.

My scenario:

I use PM to organize my images, and I rate them using PM's star rating system.
I will then open an image that has been rated.  I open the image via PM, by hitting the Edit button, which I have set to launch NX and open the image.
I will edit the image in NX. 
I will Save the image.  I do not use Save As.  Instead, I save the image, still as a NEF file, with the original name.
If I go back to PM, sometimes, but not always, the star ratings are gone.
I  have not be able to tie this problem to any specific type of edit that I am doing in NX.  It is just that sometimes the PM stars disappear, and sometimes they do not.

My setup:
I use two platforms.  This problem has occurred on both systems.
My desktop platform is a Windows Vista Home Premium setup.
My notebook is a Windows XP Pro machine.
On both, I am using PM 4.5.3
On both, I am using Nikon Capture NX 1.3.0

Screen shots of certain PM preferences are attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ratings disappear after editing with Nikon Capture NX
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »
Geoffrey,

I have read similar threads regarding Nikon Capture NX, but nothing that addresses this specific problem.

My scenario:

I use PM to organize my images, and I rate them using PM's star rating system.
I will then open an image that has been rated.  I open the image via PM, by hitting the Edit button, which I have set to launch NX and open the image.
I will edit the image in NX. 
I will Save the image.  I do not use Save As.  Instead, I save the image, still as a NEF file, with the original name.
If I go back to PM, sometimes, but not always, the star ratings are gone.
I  have not be able to tie this problem to any specific type of edit that I am doing in NX.  It is just that sometimes the PM stars disappear, and sometimes they do not.

My setup:
I use two platforms.  This problem has occurred on both systems.
My desktop platform is a Windows Vista Home Premium setup.
My notebook is a Windows XP Pro machine.
On both, I am using PM 4.5.3
On both, I am using Nikon Capture NX 1.3.0

Screen shots of certain PM preferences are attached.

Your preferences look right.  I would like to have you send me a NEF file that you know previously had ratings that no longer does after saving from Capture NX.  If the file produced by Capture NX does not have the IPTC data retained in it, the ratings will be lost.  Please click on my name to the left of this message and then click on the "personal message" link.  I will respond with server upload information.

BTW, your Preferences dialogs are strange looking.  Some of the label text is missing, and there is some blank window background showing in one of them.  I can tell that you're using larger fonts than normal, but usually the system takes care of resizing dialogs and controls such that everything works out alright.  Do you have some sort of UI enhancer installed?

-Kirk

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:16:15 AM »
Thank you very much for the speedy reply.  I am constantly impressed with your attention to this site. 

I will round up a file later today and send it to you. 

As for the UI, no, I don't have any sort of enhancer that I know of.  I did a PrntScrn in order to produce the images, but I don't know if that did it.  Also, this machine is a notebook that I use with a docking station at my office.  At my office, I use two monitors, which are plugged into the docking station.  I only use this notebook for photo work when I am on vacation, as I am now (short weekend trip).  The fact that I use two monitors at work with this same machine may account for the irregularities that you observed.  To be honest, I had not noticed. 

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:19:43 PM »
Kirk,

I sent a sample before and after file to you.

I should have noticed this earlier, but it is not only the ratings that disappear.  All of the IPTC information that I enter disappears.  Again, this only happens sometimes.

I also note that Nikon released a new version of Capture NX in the fall, version 1.3.  This includes several changes the UI and the addition of a new set of controls, called "Picture Control."  These new controls are intended to work with the newer Nikon DSLRs, such as the D300, which include Picture Control as part of their onboard menu and processing systems.

I note the Capture crashes a lot more under version 1.3 than it did under earlier versions.  I also do not recall having this problem with PM ratings and IPTC data disappearing under the previous versions of NX.  It could have happened, but, if so, I did not notice.