Author Topic: Search for a keyword in the Structured Keyword panel/menu  (Read 6188 times)

Offline Pogo33

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Search for a keyword in the Structured Keyword panel/menu
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »
Photo Mechanics version 4.5.3, Mac OS 10.5.2. In the Structured Keyword panel/menu when I do a search for a keyword in my controlled vocabulary list, I have noticed that the search is inconsistent in finding terms and I am curious as to why. I make sure I use a text editor and right now I use Text Wrangler which seems to work with the search function, but other terms that have been placed within the structure do not show up. Example is searching for Seattle. There is one term within the structure, but the search cannot find it or will not show it.

Any ideas?

Earl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search for a keyword in the Structured Keyword panel/menu
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »
Earl,

Photo Mechanics version 4.5.3, Mac OS 10.5.2. In the Structured Keyword panel/menu when I do a search for a keyword in my controlled vocabulary list, I have noticed that the search is inconsistent in finding terms and I am curious as to why. I make sure I use a text editor and right now I use Text Wrangler which seems to work with the search function, but other terms that have been placed within the structure do not show up. Example is searching for Seattle. There is one term within the structure, but the search cannot find it or will not show it.

If you want to export your current list and send it to me, I can perform the searches you expect to work and find out why they're not.

Contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then click on the 'personal message' link.

-Kirk

Offline JL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JLog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »
I am also having difficulty with the Search function.  It searched correctly the first time I tried a search.  The second time it gave me nothing in particular.  I think it didn't even run a search.  After closing and re-opening the program, the third time it did a search but returned a bunch of pictures that had no relation to what I was looking for.  I am running XP Pro, SP2, 20-day trial of Photo Mechanic.  Beautiful looking software and lots I like, but the proof is in the testing.  So far, um...

Are there different brands of IPTC?  Because some of the fields I have filled from other software, such as copyright and Source URL, do not show up in Photo Mechanic.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »
I am also having difficulty with the Search function.  It searched correctly the first time I tried a search.  The second time it gave me nothing in particular.  I think it didn't even run a search.  After closing and re-opening the program, the third time it did a search but returned a bunch of pictures that had no relation to what I was looking for.  I am running XP Pro, SP2, 20-day trial of Photo Mechanic.  Beautiful looking software and lots I like, but the proof is in the testing.  So far, um...

Are there different brands of IPTC?  Because some of the fields I have filled from other software, such as copyright and Source URL, do not show up in Photo Mechanic.

On the Windows version there is a Find command that will search for IPTC data.  Is that what you're using?  It is on the Edit menu.  If you're using the Structured Keywords panel, it only searches its database, not the data contained in images.

There are two standards for caption data: IPTC and IPTC4XMP.  Photo Mechanic supports both of them.

-Kirk

Offline JL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JLog
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 05:24:06 PM »
Yes, I'm using Find under Edit.  I've been back several times trying to do searches and it just doesn't work.  I can't figure out at all what it's doing.  A search that should bring up maybe half a dozen photos brings up hundreds. 

Also, some of the IPTC info entered in Adobe or MediaDex (viewable in both and other IPTC readers) does not show up in Photo Mechanic at all. 

This is the best-looking and smoothest interface I've ever seen and I was about to do a stellar review of it, but will hold off til I can see if it works in what I would expect is the most basic of ways. 

Offline JL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JLog
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »
It's OK, I've got it.  It's necessary to click View By/Selected on the main screen.  It's certainly not obvious.

Also, the copyright notices are now showing up in the IPTC info.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »
It's OK, I've got it.  It's necessary to click View By/Selected on the main screen.  It's certainly not obvious.

The items that match your criteria are selected.  Any images not matching the criteria are de-selected.  It used to automatically filter out the de-selected images but that was complained about by many users who just wanted to operate on the selection but still see the other images.  They felt that they 'had lost their place.'

So it was changed to how it works now.

-Kirk

Offline JL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JLog
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 12:14:46 AM »
Well, that explains it.  The only thing I would hope for is a way to re-arrange the fields in the IPTC Info window, so I can keep the ones I use near the top.  Beautiful software.  Good job.