Author Topic: Unsupported Format Variant  (Read 3049 times)

Offline ms2thdr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unsupported Format Variant
« on: February 23, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
I've been using Photo Mechanic for 3 years now and all of the sudden (version 4.5.3) I seem to be getting this message on every image that I save as a .psd "Unsupported Format Variant"  Nothing has changed with the way I save files that I can tell, and instead of having this every once in a while I'm seeing it on nearly every image.

Thanks for any help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unsupported Format Variant
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »
I've been using Photo Mechanic for 3 years now and all of the sudden (version 4.5.3) I seem to be getting this message on every image that I save as a .psd "Unsupported Format Variant"  Nothing has changed with the way I save files that I can tell, and instead of having this every once in a while I'm seeing it on nearly every image.

Your images are likely too large for QuickTime to render without crashing.  We currently use QuickTime to render PSD files and it crashes Photo Mechanic if files are sent to it that are larger than a certain (I don't remember the restrictions right at the moment) size.

Maybe you've started working with 16-bit PSDs?  They get larger twice as fast as 8-bit PSDs.

-Kirk

Offline ms2thdr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
Ahhh..thank you, I've always worked with 16bit PSD's but this batch of photo's has been very heavy on layers (layers for everything it seems) Thank you for your quick reply Kirk!

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »
There must be something besides just file size that causes PM not to render the preview. I notice that some images that are larger in overall Mb preview fine, while other's (that are large, but not as large in terms of Mb) give the "Unsupported Format Variant" message.

Is there a way to get PM to use the low rez thumbnail for these images?

Ric Cohn
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 07:44:48 PM by rcohn »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
There must be something besides just size that causes PM not to render the preview. I notice that some images that are larger in overall Mb preview fine, while other's with large- but not as large- in terms of Mb give the "Unsupported Format Variant" message.

It has nothing to do with the actual file size.  It has more to do with the horizontal resolution of the PSD files.

Quote from: rcohn
Is there a way to get PM to use the low rez thumbnail for these images?

No there is no way currently.  Because QuickTime is so poor at loading PSD files we have plans to write our own loader for version 4.6.

-Kirk