Author Topic: Actuations/Frame Numbers Disappear After Capture NX Edit  (Read 2384 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Actuations/Frame Numbers Disappear After Capture NX Edit
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »
An earlier edit mentioned that ratings were being lost after editing in Capture NX. I am experiencing the same thing with actuations/frame numbers. I'm using PM 4.5.3 on OS 10.4.11 and NX 1.3.0. In general, I use the extract jpeg option in Tools to create the Jpeg. So, when I edit in NX and save as a NEF, the frame number disappears. When I do an extraction, the actuation number then disappears also. In Preferences, Files are set to add tags, color classes etc to all photos. Thanks for your help. Richard
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:32:46 PM by rbsandor »

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Actuations/Frame Numbers Disappear After Capture NX Edit
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:25:04 AM »
Richard,

When extracting a JPEG from a RAW file, we have to "manufacture" the Exif information.  We don't just take the Exif block from the RAW and put it into the extracted JPEG (for various technical reasons).  But when we create the Exif information, we don't create the maker note (this is proprietary manufacturer information and in the case of Nikon parts are encrypted).  Since the actuation count (and other information we read) lives in the maker note, this will not appear in the extracted JPEG.

I'm curious why you are using the embedded JPEG from a RAW to edit in Capture NX - why not edit the RAW NEF file in Capture NX and create a JPEG from that.  Much better quality that way.  Although the embedded JPEG in newer Nikon cameras (and NX) is full resolution, it isn't as good as the RAW image in terms of the quality and options for fixing white balance, exposure, etc.

--dennis

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Re: Actuations/Frame Numbers Disappear After Capture NX Edit
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 11:16:04 AM »
Dennis: thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific, in that if I am going to post something on the web (and not print), I make the Jpeg and resize it in PM as it is faster and easier to control the file size in comparison to NX. Thanks again. Richard