Author Topic: PSD problems  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Chilipepper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PSD problems
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »
I've tried searching through some old topics like this but haven't gotten anywhere with it.

I have 2 psd files one is 150Mb and the other is 251Mb. They are 4318x2893 pixels from a D2xs, and they are 16 bit files.
If I try to view them with PM the thumbnail and the full screen version are just repeating patterns of a small part of the picture.

I have turned off the hi-res preview, I have tried to flatten the images and save them still as psd files and it doesn't work. The
files are saved with maximum compatibility from CS3. I have never had this happen before and I'm wondering what I can do to
make these files viewable in PM.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PSD problems
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »
I've tried searching through some old topics like this but haven't gotten anywhere with it.

I have 2 psd files one is 150Mb and the other is 251Mb. They are 4318x2893 pixels from a D2xs, and they are 16 bit files.
If I try to view them with PM the thumbnail and the full screen version are just repeating patterns of a small part of the picture.

I have turned off the hi-res preview, I have tried to flatten the images and save them still as psd files and it doesn't work. The
files are saved with maximum compatibility from CS3. I have never had this happen before and I'm wondering what I can do to
make these files viewable in PM.

Photo Mechanic currently uses QuickTime to render PSD files.  It has problems with some PSD files that have 'rowbytes' that are too large for it to handle.  There is not much you can do except perhaps save as TIFF or some other file format in addition to the PSD format.

We are planning to write our own PSD renderer for version 4.6 which should solve these problems.

-Kirk

Offline Chilipepper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me. Do you have any idea why 100's of other psd files, including ones in that same folder render fine?
Thanks

Can't wait for the next version of PM got my fingers crossed for cataloging as well.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me. Do you have any idea why 100's of other psd files, including ones in that same folder render fine?
Thanks

Can't wait for the next version of PM got my fingers crossed for cataloging as well.

Some files render fine with QuickTime, others do not.  Since QuickTime has so many other issues we really want to get our own PSD loader going.  You'll still need to save with Maximize Compatibility turned on even after we write our own loader.

-Kirk