Author Topic: What is the correct Unicode UTF8 settings for saving a structured keyword list?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Pogo33

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
It appears that I have created problems for my structured keyword list by not having my text editor (TextWrangler) saving the file correctly for Photo Mechanics. Text Wrangle has the following options:

Unicode UTF-8
Unicode UTF-8, No BOM
Unicode UTF-16
Unicode UTF-16, No BOM
Unicode UTF-16, Little-Endian
Unicode UTF-16, Little-Endian, No BOM

As well as sellecting Line Break options for

Unix
OSX
Windows

I am using OSX 10.5.2

Also, when I save the file as a Unicode file, is it ok to have a txt extention or should it have a UTF extension>

Sincerely,

Earl Robicheaux

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Earl,

It appears that I have created problems for my structured keyword list by not having my text editor (TextWrangler) saving the file correctly for Photo Mechanics. Text Wrangle has the following options:

Unicode UTF-8
Unicode UTF-8, No BOM
Unicode UTF-16
Unicode UTF-16, No BOM
Unicode UTF-16, Little-Endian
Unicode UTF-16, Little-Endian, No BOM

As well as sellecting Line Break options for

Unix
OSX
Windows

I am using OSX 10.5.2

Also, when I save the file as a Unicode file, is it ok to have a txt extention or should it have a UTF extension?

Use either of the following two formats:

Unicode UTF-8
Unicode UTF-8, No BOM

A ".txt" extension is fine.

-Kirk

Offline Pogo33

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Interesting, I was using the Unicode UTF-8 No BOM when I received the weird question marks?  the Unicode UTF-8 seams better. How about the line break; Unix or OSX?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Interesting, I was using the Unicode UTF-8 No BOM when I received the weird question marks?  the Unicode UTF-8 seams better.

All it takes is editing the file with accented characters in an editor that doesn't understand UTF-8 encoding and it will likely destroy the UTF-8 data streams.  When you later open up such a damaged file in a program that handles UTF-8 properly it will show the file as best it can but some characters will be changed to something unexpected and will have to be repaired manually.

Quote from: Pogo33
How about the line break; Unix or OSX?

It doesn't matter to Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk