Author Topic: IPTC info not being carried to photoshop  (Read 6273 times)

Offline sdergar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC info not being carried to photoshop
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:50:49 AM »
I'm having an issue with some of the information in the IPTC from photo mechanic not being carried over to photoshop.  The scenario.  after an assignment I select the pictures and modify the IPTC information and apply it to the selected pictures.  The only changes really are the caption, keywords & object name.  The rest stays the same.  Now everything I need to carry over has been check marked.  I copy the pictures into a folder and then open up bridge & photoshop.  Do the crop then open file info in photoshop to adjust the caption for each photo.  That all carries over however my contact information (name, address, etc) does not.

I know when you save for web it does cut out some of the IPTC info but the above case is a regular save or save as.

Thanks...Steven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC info not being carried to photoshop
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:44:20 AM »
Steven,

I'm having an issue with some of the information in the IPTC from photo mechanic not being carried over to photoshop.  The scenario.  after an assignment I select the pictures and modify the IPTC information and apply it to the selected pictures.  The only changes really are the caption, keywords & object name.  The rest stays the same.  Now everything I need to carry over has been check marked.  I copy the pictures into a folder and then open up bridge & photoshop.  Do the crop then open file info in photoshop to adjust the caption for each photo.  That all carries over however my contact information (name, address, etc) does not.

It sounds like you are not telling Photo Mechanic to write out XMP data for your photos.  The fields you described are only stored in XMP metadata.  Please check your IPTC/XMP settings in the Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline Matthew Rond

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
Steven,

It sounds like you are not telling Photo Mechanic to write out XMP data for your photos.  The fields you described are only stored in XMP metadata.  Please check your IPTC/XMP settings in the Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Kirk, I don't see any option dealing with XMP in the PM preferences. Please elaborate on the location of this option. The IPTC field in preferences is fairly stark, I see no mention of XMP.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:37:15 AM »
Steven,

Kirk, I don't see any option dealing with XMP in the PM preferences. Please elaborate on the location of this option. The IPTC field in preferences is fairly stark, I see no mention of XMP.

I attached a screen shot of the IPTC/XMP settings in the Preferences dialog.  There are several UI elements that allow you to tailor your use of IPTC and XMP.

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Matthew Rond

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »
Kirk, thanks for the quick response! Would this preference panel be available in version 4.3.8?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »
Kirk, thanks for the quick response! Would this preference panel be available in version 4.3.8?

No.  XMP support was not added until version 4.4.  The current version is 4.5.3 as of this moment.

You'll likely need to purchase an upgrade license.  See http://www.camerabits.com/ for contact information.

-Kirk