Author Topic: PM and Capture NX and iView/Expression Media  (Read 11651 times)

Offline MBlue72

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and Capture NX and iView/Expression Media
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »
Hello:

I am a Nikon shooter (D300 and D70) and am considering adding Photo Mechanic to the front end of my workflow. I currently use Capture NX for my image editor and occasionally Adobe PSE 5 for pixel editing (after converting NEFs to TIFFs). For DAM, I am using Expression Media (formerly iView Media Pro).

I am wondering if any of you folks also use these programs and can share your opinions with me regarding PM's compatability with NX and Expression Media. Is the workflow smooth and fluid? Are there any problems with these programs working together? I have read favorable comments over at Nikonians (regarding compatibility w/NX) but haven't heard much regarding how well PM works w/Expression Media. I would appreciate hearing what you might have to say about "all of the above."

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Dave

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM and Capture NX and iView/Expression Media
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
I use PM and Capture NX almost exclusively.  They operate very smoothly together.  The fact that PM uses the embedded jpg from the RAW file is what makes the combination work as well as it does (and also the reaon why Lightroom etc. are useless to me), this way you see the results of the edits you made in Capture NX, and not some interpreted original.
From the camera, an already good jpeg is embedded (at least with my D70 and D200); you can really use it to judge sharpness etc. from.  Capture NX embeds an even better jpg, one that can be used even for printing (yes, it is that good, >>90% when I last checked).

I don't know about Expression Media so can't comment on that.

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Greg Zenitsky

• Newcomer
  • Sola Deo Gloria!
    • View Profile
    • Witness of Light Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »
Dave,
I've been through Aperture and all the pain waiting for D300 support only to be disappointed with Aperture 2.0. I tried Lightroom and didn't like the "feel" of the software and screen navigation. Started reading about PM in various forums, especially Nikonians, and tried the trial. I bought PM Monday evening and I really believe I have found a workflow that works for me as an amateur photographer. I'm using Capture NX as my editor. I re-arranged my NEF raw files into two directories. One for D70 files and one for D300. When I choose to edit an image, Capture opens very smoothly on my 24" iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo and as many have attested, the fact that I can preview the embedded JPEG in PM is simply awesome. I can't say enough about PM. It's simply one of the best applications I've ever used on any computer...any platform. The responsiveness of this developer as I have witnessed in this forum, is unmatched in the software world. PM is well worth the $150 price and looking at Camerabits development roadmap, I can see I won't have any complaints paying for the upgrades. I know I'm gushing here but after 3 years of trying to wrap my hands around a workable raw workflow, I've finally have found one!! I can't wait to see what cataloging features Camerabits adds to PM. I probably haven't helped you with your original question that much but I don't think you can go wrong with the PM/Capture workflow solution.

Greg Zenitsky
Lee's Summit, MO
Greg Zenitsky
Lee's Summit, MO
www.witnessoflight.com

Offline MBlue72

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »
Hayo and Greg:

Thanks very much for the feedback. PM does seem like a good fit with Capture NX.

Regarding DAM, I've been using iView Media Pro (now Expression Media) for a few years and have been pretty happy with it. I especially like that an hierarchical catalog structure is allowed. I wonder what the cataloging module Camera Bits is apparently developing will be like. Since Microsoft acquired iView there have been no new capabilities added and moreover, new problems and bugs keep popping up. In fact, I began looking for a better browser due to ExMedia having a problem reading NEFs from my D300. Although Microsoft offered a workaround, I've had problems implementing it.

Thanks again and I still welcome additional input.

Dave 

Offline aramb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 06:17:13 PM »
For those that are using PM, Capture NX and iView (or Expression Media), I would be interested in knowing specifically what your workflow is. I have recently purchased all three products and am trying to figure out the best way to seamlessly integrate them into a workable DAM solution.

One of the problems I have encountered with this combination of software is the inability to get star ratings and labels that are applied in PM to be readable by iView. If anyone knows a work-around for this, it would make things flow better from one application to another.

Thanks,

Aram Basmadjian
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 06:24:56 PM by aramb »

Offline tsdevine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »

I'm evaluating PM right now, and I really like the product.  But I'm having the same issue with Expression Media (iView) not seeing the star ratings.  Anyone else get this working????

For those that are using PM, Capture NX and iView (or Expression Media), I would be interested in knowing specifically what your workflow is. I have recently purchased all three products and am trying to figure out the best way to seamlessly integrate them into a workable DAM solution.

One of the problems I have encountered with this combination of software is the inability to get star ratings and labels that are applied in PM to be readable by iView. If anyone knows a work-around for this, it would make things flow better from one application to another.

Thanks,

Aram Basmadjian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:48:45 AM »

I'm evaluating PM right now, and I really like the product.  But I'm having the same issue with Expression Media (iView) not seeing the star ratings.  Anyone else get this working????

Thanks,

Aram Basmadjian

Does Expression Media have a 5-star rating system?

-Kirk

Offline tsdevine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 08:57:45 AM »
Yes.  I'm going to double check the expression media preferences when I get home.  I see most of the metadata entered in PM show up in Expression Media...but not the star rating.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:10:30 AM by tsdevine »

Offline Cycleboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 10:56:54 AM »
Star rating in PM is shown in Expression Media on my machine. but donĀ“nt ask me why.

Werner

Offline MBlue72

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 03:54:06 PM »
tsdevine:

I did purchase PM after a trial period and really like it. I am currently using PM to ingest the files, then cull, rate (using the five star rating) and rename them. I then use Expression Media for editing IPTC entries (I just find it much easier than PM for this operation) and DAM functionality.

While using the above outlined workflow for my last few shoots, Expression Media has recognized the five star ratings I assigned with PM. However, when I was experimenting with PM initially and using existing files already ingested with another program, I had to use a different approach for exMedia to recognize the star ratings:

(from within ExMedia)
1)... select the files in question, then ...
2)... Action>Sync Annotations>Import Annotations from original files ...
3)... invoke "replace current" from the pulldown menu

I am pretty sure that is what was necceassary. It has been a few weeks now and it is a little fuzzy.

Happily, that very cumbersome routine became unnecessary once I began ingesting the new files with Photo Mechanic.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Offline tsdevine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »

Thanks for the help.  Things seem to be working now, although I'm just testing some images that are new.  I'll have to experiment with those already cataloged.  I had to setup PM to follow the suggested settings for Adobe CS and then setup EM to use Adobe CS Field Names.  Guess I need to play around a little more, but so far that seemed to do the trick.

-Tim