Author Topic: Compare folders  (Read 14783 times)

Offline andreiya93

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Compare folders
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »
Apart form the obviously useful tabbed interface, would it be possible to have an side-by-side one ? I sometimes need to compare two folder's contents and that's the best solution I've been able to come up with.

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
Re: Compare folders
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »
Some kind of syncing feature between job folders would be really useful (to check for older/newer versions or derivatives between different disks etc). I now use Chronosync to do this, but being able to do this from within PM would be even better.

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:12:18 AM »
I also support the implementation of such a feature.

Best regards,

Hugo Aubert

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »
On my Win machine I use Total Commander for the side by side comparison (no image previews just file info) and to compare older newer versions. Unfortunately on the Mac I couldn't find any software handy enough to help me forget the need for Total Commander.

I'll check out Chronosync but the sync and compare functions would be great additions to PM. I just cannot imagine how it could be implemented. It is rather a two window file manager type task than a one window image organizer's. However I mostly have to compare and sync image folders so PM could fill the gap.
On the other hand this task may be somewhere on the road to the image cataloging feature under work at Camerabits.

I'm very interrested in Kirk's opinion on this.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 01:22:08 PM »
On my Win machine I use Total Commander for the side by side comparison (no image previews just file info) and to compare older newer versions. Unfortunately on the Mac I couldn't find any software handy enough to help me forget the need for Total Commander.

I'll check out Chronosync but the sync and compare functions would be great additions to PM. I just cannot imagine how it could be implemented. It is rather a two window file manager type task than a one window image organizer's. However I mostly have to compare and sync image folders so PM could fill the gap.
On the other hand this task may be somewhere on the road to the image cataloging feature under work at Camerabits.

It depends on what people are really asking for.  Some are wanting a visual side-by-side comparison capability.  Some are wanting a feature that would scan two folders and point out equivalences and differences.

So what are we really talking about here?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 01:56:48 PM »

It depends on what people are really asking for.  Some are wanting a visual side-by-side comparison capability.  Some are wanting a feature that would scan two folders and point out equivalences and differences.

So what are we really talking about here?

-Kirk

I guess the compare by file info can be easily added, the greatest question of it would be how to set up its controls. But the side by side contact sheet solution allowing visual comparison could be a base for the data comparison as well. So if the need or will exists it could be doable.

I would like both features but the data comparison (like possible in Total Commander/Windows Commander) would be what I really would need (specialy because not much Mac programs offer it).

A sync feature (also great in Total/Windows Commander) would be also great. I think there is no need to say why it would be helpful.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »
I second the above - some "Chronosync-uesque" tool which quickly points out the obvious differences and/or offers to sync them is what I would need most often. Visual comparison can be done in the Finder - although there's instances where a quick list view (sorting by file name/date/time/type etc.) would be helpful in PM though, but that is another matter)

Offline ricardsonwilliams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Compare folders (backup)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »
In Aperture I use "Vault" feature to make backup its will be good thing to add to PM, I miss backup feature, also way to make multiples backup volumes like "dailly" and "weekly" backup, in think can be use rsync as backend.

Apple has included the ability to backup an Aperture Library into a Vault. A Vault is an exact copy of an Aperture Library. Once a Vault is first created, any additions or changes to the Aperture Library are made to an associated Vault incrementally during the synchronization process. The program can backup a Library to one or more Vaults, with the incremental updating of multiple
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:32:52 PM by ricardsonwilliams »

Offline Bengt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 04:04:15 AM »
Why not make it possible to open two versions of PM?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 06:59:17 AM »
Why not make it possible to open two versions of PM?

Because there is only one cache and also not all OSes allow multiple copies of the same application to run at the same time.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Compare folders (backup)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »
In Aperture I use "Vault" feature to make backup its will be good thing to add to PM, I miss backup feature, also way to make multiples backup volumes like "dailly" and "weekly" backup, in think can be use rsync as backend.

Apple has included the ability to backup an Aperture Library into a Vault. A Vault is an exact copy of an Aperture Library. Once a Vault is first created, any additions or changes to the Aperture Library are made to an associated Vault incrementally during the synchronization process. The program can backup a Library to one or more Vaults, with the incremental updating of multiple

I think Apple implemented their Vault backup utility because Aperture is a "do it all in one app" style program and it does not really consider working on your images with anything else. This is why they keep it all in their library and why they provide this backup.

PM is designed to work fine with other programs and except preferences it does not really store any data elsewhere but the image files you manage with it. So you can use any kind of backup sofware to protect your images even without PM itself providing such a feature.
However PM does offer a backup feature during ingest to be able to make a redundant copy of your images before they get erased from your cards.

On the Mac there is Apple's Time Machine looking every hour for your changes and doing a backup.

I prefer CrashPlan which seems me more powerfuland advanced to me and it is multi platform supporting OSX, Win and Linux as well. It can operate over the internet (not adviced for mobile Internet with low bandwith and large image files) and USB as well. And most of all it supports what you mentioned: once a file is changed it backs it up to the given backup location(s).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:11:43 PM by szurkebarat »
Allways shooting RAW.