Author Topic: Two PM open at the same time?  (Read 10957 times)

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
Two PM open at the same time?
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:35:21 AM »
Hi,

I have to compare some work side by side. Is it possible to have two PM (windows or programs) open at the same time to compare images?

-Hilmar

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Two PM open at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:57:58 AM »
Hilmar,

I have to compare some work side by side. Is it possible to have two PM (windows or programs) open at the same time to compare images?

No, that is not possible.  If we wanted to make that possible it would be a very complex feature to add because of caching, file locking, etc.

-Kirk

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »
Hi,

I have to agree with the note above. I often have to compare images, from diffrent photographers - same occasion, finding diffrent named images (jpg-raw, someone sends me a renamed file and I have to locate the original RAW, etc.

Therefor I have to admit that this is a key option for many photographers. I admit having tab as a choice would be nice but to be able to have diffrent windows open to compare is vital.

Kirk, it would be nice to get your thought on this. I see that simular requests are being posted in other forums for PM.

-Hilmar

Offline f8andbethere

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:16:30 PM »
 ::) :D ;D  YIPPEEEE!!!!!

It was all a misunderstanding. I just got off the phone with Dennis. Not only can we still have two separate windows open, we can combine them with tabs, and move tabs around, and all kinds of good stuff.

To confirm, I asked if I could have one window open looking at a HD, and another completely separate window open looking at a CD. Answer: YES!

Hilmar, you described precisely what I have to deal with, where the only option is to compare images VISUALLY.

Bill Smith

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
Hilmar,

I have to agree with the note above. I often have to compare images, from diffrent photographers - same occasion, finding diffrent named images (jpg-raw, someone sends me a renamed file and I have to locate the original RAW, etc.

Therefor I have to admit that this is a key option for many photographers. I admit having tab as a choice would be nice but to be able to have diffrent windows open to compare is vital.

Kirk, it would be nice to get your thought on this. I see that simular requests are being posted in other forums for PM.

This is something that is quite easy to do on Mac OS X.  You just create two top-level windows and place them side-by-side or on different monitors and away you go.

On Windows we don't have that capability because the Contact Sheet is enclosed in the outer application window.  Here is what I will do for you all in 4.6 (I'll try to do it but I may fail): I will try to add a mode where the tabs won't be present and you'll be able to 'tile' the windows, placing them side-by-side inside the outer application window.  You'll be able to compare two contact sheets at a time and you'll be able to switch back to 'tabs' mode.

-Kirk

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
Hi,

Am I getting this right. Can I place two PM windows side by side on Mac?

Somehow I canĀ“t get that to work.

-Hilmar

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 04:52:17 PM »
My bad. It was as easy as stealing candy... uhumm... as drinking water.

Sorry. As often it is easily possible but needs a little nudge to get it right.

I would love to have the "remove duplicates from the same window" though. ; )

Cheers,
-Hilmar

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:20:02 PM »
This would be a MOST welcomed addition to the Windows version.  Much more elegant than placing a laptop next to my desktop to achieve the same thing ...  :)

Deven

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 11:26:56 AM »
This would be a MOST welcomed addition to the Windows version.  Much more elegant than placing a laptop next to my desktop to achieve the same thing ...  :)

Deven

Quite a hardware requiring solution...
;-DDD

How about the side-by-side views of the preview window? If I understand the problem correctly it solves the problem. Open all the images in one contact sheet move the wanted two close to each other (arrangement sort) and in prewiew press H for Horisontally or V for Vertically spliting the screen. on one side one image you can click (or press G I think) on the other and move between images. this way comparing them to each other.

However I often use an alternate image viewer (mostly Irfan View under Windows) as an external editor to view an image larger than preview window offers. Also I usually search images similar to a selected one. So I open the wanted image in the external editor/viewer and can search using PM alt+tab to the viewer (or simply placing it to the other screen if I have two of them) to check and alt+tab to continue searching after selected if it is one I looked for.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 12:07:18 PM »

How about the side-by-side views of the preview window? If I understand the problem correctly it solves the problem. Open all the images in one contact sheet move the wanted two close to each other (arrangement sort) and in prewiew press H for Horisontally or V for Vertically spliting the screen. on one side one image you can click (or press G I think) on the other and move between images. this way comparing them to each other.

However I often use an alternate image viewer (mostly Irfan View under Windows) as an external editor to view an image larger than preview window offers. Also I usually search images similar to a selected one. So I open the wanted image in the external editor/viewer and can search using PM alt+tab to the viewer (or simply placing it to the other screen if I have two of them) to check and alt+tab to continue searching after selected if it is one I looked for.

They want to view two contact sheets side-by-side, not individual images in a single contact sheet.  This is possible on the Mac and is not currently possible on Windows.

-Kirk