Author Topic: Question about export  (Read 10592 times)

Offline ebmarketa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Question about export
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:45:49 AM »
I have been exploring the export page and like what I see but there is one annoying thing. Why does PM insist on moving index.htm after creating the slide show? I want to save it in the slide show root directory but PM won't allow it. It's not a huge issue but it's annoying to always have to move it there manually. Maybe there is an option I overlooked somewhere. I read the manual but did not find anything pertaining to moving the index.htm.
Thank you.
Marketa

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Question about export
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
Marketa,

I have been exploring the export page and like what I see but there is one annoying thing. Why does PM insist on moving index.htm after creating the slide show? I want to save it in the slide show root directory but PM won't allow it. It's not a huge issue but it's annoying to always have to move it there manually. Maybe there is an option I overlooked somewhere. I read the manual but did not find anything pertaining to moving the index.htm.

I don't know what you mean by "Why does PM insist on moving index.htm"?  PM generates this file (well really it should be index.html) each time a gallery is exported.

-Kirk

Offline ebmarketa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
When I click on export, a dialog box comes up that says: select the place where you want to move index.html. The program does not allow me to save it in the gallery main directory, where the css file is; I have to save it elsewhere and then manually move it to the correct directory.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »
When I click on export, a dialog box comes up that says: select the place where you want to move index.html. The program does not allow me to save it in the gallery main directory, where the css file is; I have to save it elsewhere and then manually move it to the correct directory.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?
What OS are you using?

-Kirk

Offline ebmarketa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »
PM 4.53 and windows XP.

Marketa

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
PM 4.53 and windows XP.

And which template are you using?

-Kirk

Offline ebmarketa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »
I tried the PM classic, Simple Viewer and some of the others; all behaved the same way. When I try to save index.html to the gallery directory, the save button becomes unavailable. I can save to any other directory.

Marketa

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
I tried the PM classic, Simple Viewer and some of the others; all behaved the same way. When I try to save index.html to the gallery directory, the save button becomes unavailable. I can save to any other directory.

When you click the "Export" button, a dialog appears prompting you "Please select the destination folder for export:" and it allows you to create new folders, browse around and then finally choose a folder.

Where does "When I try to save index.html" come into play?

I just really don't know what you're doing since PM should never prompt you to save any "index.html" file, ever.

-Kirk

Offline ebmarketa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »
I click export, get a "select destination folder" dialog box. I specify the folder, PM starts copying and when it is almost done another dialog box pops up, every time so far, that is labeled "move items" and it says: "select the place where you want to move index.html." As I said before, I can save anywhere except the gallery directory. This is all I am doing. Are you saying the "move items" box is not supposed to come up? Once I manually move the index.html to the correct directory the web galleries seem to work OK.

Offline ebmarketa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »
I was hoping for some help with this issue, rather than just be told that PM should not do what it's doing. If you don't believe me I would be happy to send you a screen shot.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
I was hoping for some help with this issue, rather than just be told that PM should not do what it's doing. If you don't believe me I would be happy to send you a screen shot.

That would be great!

-Kirk

Offline ebmarketa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »
Here is the screenshot. The gallery directory is "test" and you can see the save option is disabled.

Marketa

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 11:14:29 PM »
Marketa,

Here is the screenshot. The gallery directory is "test" and you can see the save option is disabled.

I tried to reproduce the problem depicted in your screenshot (thanks for posting that by the way) and I cannot reproduce it at all with the Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.1 release version.  When I exported via the Simple Viewer template, it asked me to choose a folder to put the exported gallery into and it ran until completion with no further interaction from me.

I suggest you update your Photo Mechanic to 4.5.3.1 (it is a free update for all 4.5.x users) and see if that solves the problem.

-Kirk

Offline ebmarketa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 07:52:46 AM »
I have already updated to the new version; it did not solve the problem. However, I did not uninstall the older version first. I guess I'll have to try that next. Thanks for your help; at least I know this is not supposed to happen.

Marketa

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »
Marketa,

I have already updated to the new version; it did not solve the problem. However, I did not uninstall the older version first. I guess I'll have to try that next. Thanks for your help; at least I know this is not supposed to happen.

Do you have something installed that alters the behavior of applications?  The wording that appears in the dialog in your screen shot does not exist in the Photo Mechanic application at all.

-Kirk