Author Topic: Can PM write to only JPGs while in JPG+RAW workflow?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline MBlue72

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can PM write to only JPGs while in JPG+RAW workflow?
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »
Hello:

I am currently evaluating PM (five days left!) and am considering adding it as the front end of my workflow, while using Expression Media as my DAM program. I work with a JPG+RAW scheme, with NEFs as my RAW. I do not want to annotate or alter my NEFs in any way, preferring to keep them as "digital negatives."

My question: is there a way to have PM write annotations (IPTC, stars, etc) to only my JPG files while still working in a JPG+RAW flow? I have looked through the Users Guide and searched here, but cannot find this answer.

BTW, I am quite impressed with this forum and the amount of help made available on a timely basis here. Kirk seems to be contributing almost 24/7.

Thanks,

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can PM write to only JPGs while in JPG+RAW workflow?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »
Dave,

I am currently evaluating PM (five days left!) and am considering adding it as the front end of my workflow, while using Expression Media as my DAM program. I work with a JPG+RAW scheme, with NEFs as my RAW. I do not want to annotate or alter my NEFs in any way, preferring to keep them as "digital negatives."

My question: is there a way to have PM write annotations (IPTC, stars, etc) to only my JPG files while still working in a JPG+RAW flow? I have looked through the Users Guide and searched here, but cannot find this answer.

If you don't allow PM to embed metadata to your RAW files, it won't embed metadata.  The metadata will instead be added to XMP sidecar files.  You can control this by opening up the Preferences dialog and then clicking on the IPTC/XMP tab.  Once there you can uncheck the embed IPTC and embed IPTC4XMP checkboxes.  XMP sidecars will then be used.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline MBlue72

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:48:55 AM »
Kirk:

Thanks for such a quick reply. Being new (still on trial), I may be misunderstanding your answer.

I ran another test and my test Caption, City, State, Country and "Star" rating were all written to my NEF file, as well as to my JPG. Here's what I did:

1)... (in Photo Mechanic) ... Edit>Preferences>IPTC/XMP ...
2)... in the area labeled "For TIFF-based RAW", I unchecked the box labeled "Add embedded IPTC". All other boxes in this area are also unchecked.
3)... while in the contact sheet view (and still in "JPG+RAW" display format), I entered a few test entries (Caption, City, etc.).
4)... minimized PM
5)... opened Expression Media ... Action>Sync Annotations>"Import Annotation from Original File" ... clicked "OK".
6)... viewed JPG and NEF files from within ExMedia, side by side. Both files had my test entries written to them.
7)... silently cursed to myself.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help,

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:47:08 AM »
Dave,

Thanks for such a quick reply. Being new (still on trial), I may be misunderstanding your answer.

I ran another test and my test Caption, City, State, Country and "Star" rating were all written to my NEF file, as well as to my JPG. Here's what I did:

1)... (in Photo Mechanic) ... Edit>Preferences>IPTC/XMP ...
2)... in the area labeled "For TIFF-based RAW", I unchecked the box labeled "Add embedded IPTC". All other boxes in this area are also unchecked.
3)... while in the contact sheet view (and still in "JPG+RAW" display format), I entered a few test entries (Caption, City, etc.).
4)... minimized PM
5)... opened Expression Media ... Action>Sync Annotations>"Import Annotation from Original File" ... clicked "OK".
6)... viewed JPG and NEF files from within ExMedia, side by side. Both files had my test entries written to them.
7)... silently cursed to myself.

What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong, but what is happening is that PM sees that your files already have caption data in them so it is continuing to update that data.  If you set the check on the "Don't update embedded IPTC/IPTC4XMP even if it exists" checkbox, PM will stop updating the embedded metadata.  You can also revert the RAW files to their original state by using the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" command on the Tools menu.

Starting with a set of files directly from the camera would be a good test to see if you're getting the workflow you desire.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline MBlue72

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »
Kirk:

Thanks. I'm still having a problem but I'll try again this weekend. I will take your suggestion regarding starting fresh with ingesting new files directly from the camera and going from there.

I have until Tuesday when the trial expires and we are leaving Friday for a short vacation. If I purchase PM I want to start using it immediately for ingesting, culling, etc. Somehow I was given only 10 days for the trial period. I must have downloaded a trial in the distant past. Anyway, I should be able to make enough time between now and Tuesday to figure this out.

Thanks again,

Dave