Author Topic: Where is "Event" IPTC field?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline MBlue72

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Where is "Event" IPTC field?
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:16:36 AM »
Hello:

I am evaluating PM to possibly be the front-end of my work flow. I use Expression Media (Formerly iView Media Pro) as my DAM software. I have about 7,000 image files already cataloged in xMedia. My problem is that I have used the IPTC field "event" for these 7,000 files but cannot find this field anywhere within PM. I have looked. I filled out every single IPTC (not XMP) field with test entries, wrote them to test image files, imported these annotations into xMedia and could find no field that "maps" onto the IPTC field "event." The date field maps onto "event date", but that's as close as I can find.

Is the "event" field not available in PM? I thought this was a standard IPTC field???

Far less important is that I also cannot find a "people" field. Although I thought this was a standard (decades old) and accepted IPTC field, it is not important to me since I use xMedia's proprietery "catalog sets" for this purpose, among many others.

I guess another question: Is there a way to not show fields I am not using so as to tidy up the various IPTC screens (IPTC stationery pad, etc.)? xMedia has a "Show/Hide Fields" screen that is extremely convenient.

Thanks for any help you are able to give,

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where is "Event" IPTC field?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
Dave,

I am evaluating PM to possibly be the front-end of my work flow. I use Expression Media (Formerly iView Media Pro) as my DAM software. I have about 7,000 image files already cataloged in xMedia. My problem is that I have used the IPTC field "event" for these 7,000 files but cannot find this field anywhere within PM. I have looked. I filled out every single IPTC (not XMP) field with test entries, wrote them to test image files, imported these annotations into xMedia and could find no field that "maps" onto the IPTC field "event." The date field maps onto "event date", but that's as close as I can find.

Is the "event" field not available in PM? I thought this was a standard IPTC field???

There are many IPTC fields available, not all are supported by Photo Mechanic.  The IPTC Event field is not used by Photo Mechanic but Photo Mechanic will preserve its value when updating IPTC data.

Quote from: MBlue72
Far less important is that I also cannot find a "people" field. Although I thought this was a standard (decades old) and accepted IPTC field, it is not important to me since I use xMedia's proprietery "catalog sets" for this purpose, among many others.

I guess another question: Is there a way to not show fields I am not using so as to tidy up the various IPTC screens (IPTC stationery pad, etc.)? xMedia has a "Show/Hide Fields" screen that is extremely convenient.

No, there is currently no way to customize the IPTC dialogs.

-Kirk