Author Topic: "New folder" sometimes really slow  (Read 6448 times)

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
"New folder" sometimes really slow
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:23:33 AM »
I am using PM 4.5.3.1 on Windows.  Last night I was organizing several days worth of pictures that I had ingested in a single operation by moving selections of files from the ingest folder to new folders.  In the navigator, I right clicked and selected "New folder inside this folder".  There would be a pause of about 5-10 seconds before the new folder was created.  I had the same sort of pause when I tried to rename folders.  Interestingly, moving images between folders via DnD and applying the IPTC stationery pad to a whole folder of images was as fast as ever.

Any ideas what might be causing the pauses?  I tried the same sort of operation on my laptop this morning and didn't see the pauses.  After trying on my laptop this morning, the only difference I could think of is that on my desktop machine I had a network drive that was not reachable because it (my laptop) was no longer turned on.  Could a disconnected network drive cause these sorts of pauses, even if the contact sheets and images I'm working with in PM are all on local drives?  If so, is there anything that can be done in PM to prevent these types of pauses in this scenario?  This evening, I'll try detaching the unreachable "net use" to see if it makes these pauses go away.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "New folder" sometimes really slow
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
Danny,

I am using PM 4.5.3.1 on Windows.  Last night I was organizing several days worth of pictures that I had ingested in a single operation by moving selections of files from the ingest folder to new folders.  In the navigator, I right clicked and selected "New folder inside this folder".  There would be a pause of about 5-10 seconds before the new folder was created.  I had the same sort of pause when I tried to rename folders.  Interestingly, moving images between folders via DnD and applying the IPTC stationery pad to a whole folder of images was as fast as ever.

Any ideas what might be causing the pauses?  I tried the same sort of operation on my laptop this morning and didn't see the pauses.  After trying on my laptop this morning, the only difference I could think of is that on my desktop machine I had a network drive that was not reachable because it (my laptop) was no longer turned on.  Could a disconnected network drive cause these sorts of pauses, even if the contact sheets and images I'm working with in PM are all on local drives?  If so, is there anything that can be done in PM to prevent these types of pauses in this scenario?  This evening, I'll try detaching the unreachable "net use" to see if it makes these pauses go away.

I suppose that could be the cause.  The way it works is the new folder is created, and then the tree is refreshed (which causes the new folder to appear).  If refreshing the tree takes a long time in your situation, then I can see how it would affect the speed of seeing the new folder or beginning a rename operation.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 07:36:52 AM »
Does that mean you're refreshing the whole tree?  I'm not familiar with these APIs, but is it possible to refresh just the part of the tree where the new folder was created?

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:06:35 AM »
Danny,

Does that mean you're refreshing the whole tree?  I'm not familiar with these APIs, but is it possible to refresh just the part of the tree where the new folder was created?

Refreshing what is currently expanded, yes.

-Kirk