Author Topic: Negative-looking contact sheets  (Read 9920 times)

Offline WimWenner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Negative-looking contact sheets
« on: March 13, 2008, 02:31:46 PM »
Strange. When printing contact sheets as a PDF-file, I have to choose 'No color management', otherwise all the images look like negatives on the PDF. Why is that?

(Reason to make PDF's? It's a simple way to show a lot of pictures to the customer. Printing 200 pictures as a page by page contact sheet into a Low Res PDF-file in Instant Enfocus generates a file of only 10 MB, including the filenames. PS doesn't offer that possibility and that's why I like PM so much!)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Negative-looking contact sheets
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »
Strange. When printing contact sheets as a PDF-file, I have to choose 'No color management', otherwise all the images look like negatives on the PDF. Why is that?

(Reason to make PDF's? It's a simple way to show a lot of pictures to the customer. Printing 200 pictures as a page by page contact sheet into a Low Res PDF-file in Instant Enfocus generates a file of only 10 MB, including the filenames. PS doesn't offer that possibility and that's why I like PM so much!)

I don't know why that would be.  Photo Mechanic is just given a printing context by the OS to draw into, the drivers take it from there.

-Kirk

Offline WimWenner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »
Here is an example to show you. It's the result of any menu choice in the menu Color choice, and than printing as a PDF-file. When choosing 'No color matching' the image is okay. It happens with tiff's, jpeg's and eps'.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:54:37 AM by WimWenner »

Offline WimWenner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:24:15 AM »
@Kirk: have you seen the example of the negative-looking contact sheet below? I wonder if you might have an explanation.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »
@Kirk: have you seen the example of the negative-looking contact sheet below? I wonder if you might have an explanation.

I did see the example.  I'm not sure there is much I can do about it since the OS doesn't tell me that the eventual output will be a PDF file.

-Kirk

Offline WimWenner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 03:55:54 AM »
Okay. Thanx.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 06:29:45 AM »
Okay. Thanx.

What profile are you asking PM to target when you do have the printing do color management?

-Kirk

Offline WimWenner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 12:08:58 PM »
A profile like SheetCmyk-1v3 for instance, using Instant Enfocus + Distiller.

Pdf's that come out are perfect when choosing 'No color matching'. If not, the result is looking like an (analog) negative.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »
A profile like SheetCmyk-1v3 for instance, using Instant Enfocus + Distiller.

Pdf's that come out are perfect when choosing 'No color matching'. If not, the result is looking like an (analog) negative.

Well that is definitely not going to work since images in Photo Mechanic are RGB and are not CMYK.  You would need to choose a profile that is meant to be used with RGB images like Adobe RGB, sRGB, etc.

-Kirk

Offline WimWenner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »
Aha. Now I see why printing CMYK-images to a Low Res Profile goes so well. In that case Instant Enfocus will probably converts the images.
Thanks very much for your patience. I'll read the PM-Manual again this weekend. Besides that: thanks too for the the G- and L-key!