Author Topic: msvcrt-ruby 18.dll ????????  (Read 10902 times)

Offline JGP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
msvcrt-ruby 18.dll ????????
« on: March 09, 2008, 06:34:47 PM »
After running flawlessly for eons my PM 4.4.3.3 is giving me this message when I try and start it.

"The application has failed to start because msvcrt-ruby 18.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

No , it doesn't, I have uninstalled and reinstalled.

I have tried looking on the web for this .dll but can not find it. Any ideas. Im sunk without this program. I have learned to really depend on it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: msvcrt-ruby 18.dll ????????
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »
After running flawlessly for eons my PM 4.4.3.3 is giving me this message when I try and start it.

"The application has failed to start because msvcrt-ruby 18.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

No , it doesn't, I have uninstalled and reinstalled.

I have tried looking on the web for this .dll but can not find it. Any ideas. Im sunk without this program. I have learned to really depend on it.

It is built into the Photo Mechanic installer.  It should be sitting right next to the "Photo Mechanic.exe" file when PM is installed on your system.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:04:33 PM »
Kirk - Yesterday AVG Antivirus flagged this file as infected - When I allowed it to "fix" it - the file was deleted. PM would no longer start do to missing file - I installed the update (I was a little behind). with no issues.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline janeenadamsmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
I got the AVG infected notice yesterday, and downloaded the new PM version today.  Installed, works fine, but when I use the "Save As" to save a copy of an image to my desktop, and then click on the saved image, it will not open, citing:

"this app failed to start because msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not found.  Reinstalling app may fix problem."

I tried sending the image for editing in PWPro and using "save as" from within PWPro, but it resulting in a saved file with the same error message.

Re-installing didn't fix the problem.    I am able to email the image and save it from my email and click on it and it opens just fine.

Any thoughts of what to do next?
jan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »
jan,

I got the AVG infected notice yesterday, and downloaded the new PM version today.  Installed, works fine, but when I use the "Save As" to save a copy of an image to my desktop, and then click on the saved image, it will not open, citing:

"this app failed to start because msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not found.  Reinstalling app may fix problem."

I tried sending the image for editing in PWPro and using "save as" from within PWPro, but it resulting in a saved file with the same error message.

Re-installing didn't fix the problem.    I am able to email the image and save it from my email and click on it and it opens just fine.

AVG is deleting "msvcrt-ruby18.dll" which keeps Photo Mechanic from launching.

What is PWPro?

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »
Hi Kirk,

For me the msvcrt-ruby 18.dll is there, in the same folder as Photo Mechanic.exe, and PM runs fine.   I am getting the error when I try to open an image that I've saved from within PM to my desktop.   I just played a little more and doubleclicking the file generates the error, but if I right click and Open With Irfanview, it will open.  Maybe just the double-click is broken.

(I wanted to send a picture to my mom, and she only knows how to doubleclick, hence that is why I was checking.)

PWPro is Picture Window Pro, an image-editing program.  I launch it from within PM to do editing, and doing a Save As from within PWPro to my desktop resulted in the same error.    And funny enough, if I load PWPro directly and browse through my photos and select one to view and resave, it also has the error message.  Somehow PM must be set as my default viewer and then when it doesn't find the dll because the pictures are on a desktop, not the PM folder,  it just errs out?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:48:48 PM »
Hi Kirk,

For me the msvcrt-ruby 18.dll is there, in the same folder as Photo Mechanic.exe, and PM runs fine.   I am getting the error when I try to open an image that I've saved from within PM to my desktop.   I just played a little more and doubleclicking the file generates the error, but if I right click and Open With Irfanview, it will open.  Maybe just the double-click is broken.

(I wanted to send a picture to my mom, and she only knows how to doubleclick, hence that is why I was checking.)

PWPro is Picture Window Pro, an image-editing program.  I launch it from within PM to do editing, and doing a Save As from within PWPro to my desktop resulted in the same error.    And funny enough, if I load PWPro directly and browse through my photos and select one to view and resave, it also has the error message.  Somehow PM must be set as my default viewer and then when it doesn't find the dll because the pictures are on a desktop, not the PM folder,  it just errs out?

It sounds like two things are happening:
1) You still have PM 4.4.3.3 installed on your system and it is damaged because of the missing dll file.
2) The JPEG file type is set to be opened with Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.3.

I would do a full uninstall of PM (all versions), restart your system and then reinstall PM 4.5.3.1.  Then set PWPro as the handler for JPEG files (right-click on any JPEG, choose Properties from the contextual menu, then use the "Change..." button to choose PWPro as the application to use to open JPEG files.)

HTH,

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:52:32 AM »
You are good!   There were two copies of PM!   Problem all fixed.  Thanks, Kirk!

jan