Author Topic: Capture NX not able to save file that was ingested/renamed with PM  (Read 5936 times)

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
I just had again a serious problem: Capture NX is not able to save a file that has been ingested with PM. The first case ocurred with NEF and JPG file from a D200. And now with files from a D3 again. When I just copy the files from card to harddrive and then open them with NX, it saves the files just fine. But files that were renamed, IPTCed and ingested with PM just open fine in NX but changes can't be saved. Is there any file corruption going on? This behaviour of NX is strange while other files from prior ingests work just fine.

I am using Mac OS 10.5.2 and NX 1.3.2
Any help is greatly appreciated. I have to sort and develop a lot of files this weekend and rather would use PM for this since it is faster than anything else.

Thanks,
HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Capture NX not able to save file that was ingested/renamed with PM
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
I just had again a serious problem: Capture NX is not able to save a file that has been ingested with PM. The first case ocurred with NEF and JPG file from a D200. And now with files from a D3 again. When I just copy the files from card to harddrive and then open them with NX, it saves the files just fine. But files that were renamed, IPTCed and ingested with PM just open fine in NX but changes can't be saved. Is there any file corruption going on? This behaviour of NX is strange while other files from prior ingests work just fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have to sort and develop a lot of files this weekend and rather would use PM for this since it is faster than anything else.

I am not aware of any incompatibility, but if you're having problems, it would be best to use an XMP sidecar workflow which will keep PM from embedding any IPTC or XMP metadata into your RAW files.

I can't see how there could possibly be an issue with JPEGs whatsoever, but with a NEF and embedding IPTC and/or IPTC4XMP there exists the possibility that some app could be adversely affected.

When you say that Capture NX is not able to save a file, what do you mean exactly?  Was Capture NX able to open the file and make adjustments?  From what I understand, Capture NX completely rewrites the file from scratch.  Could it be that the permissions on those specific files have been altered?  Is your disk full?  What error message did Capture NX display to you?

I would like to have a sample NEF file from you that cannot be re-saved from Capture NX 1.3.2 if you could please send us one.  Please click on my name to the left of this message and then click on the "personal message" link, and then mention this issue.  I will respond with server upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:13:18 AM »

I am not aware of any incompatibility, but if you're having problems, it would be best to use an XMP sidecar workflow which will keep PM from embedding any IPTC or XMP metadata into your RAW files.

I can't see how there could possibly be an issue with JPEGs whatsoever, but with a NEF and embedding IPTC and/or IPTC4XMP there exists the possibility that some app could be adversely affected.

The newspaper workflow unfortunately does not permit sidecar files. I ran a test ingest (including renaming) with the sidecar IPTC (I did not use the standard fields just those with the asterix): then NX has no problem with the files. What I will do as a workaround for this job: add IPTC after I done my adjustments in NX.

When you say that Capture NX is not able to save a file, what do you mean exactly?  Was Capture NX able to open the file and make adjustments?  From what I understand, Capture NX completely rewrites the file from scratch.  Could it be that the permissions on those specific files have been altered?  Is your disk full?  What error message did Capture NX display to you?

Capture NX opens the file, I can do adjustments, but NX is unable to save them no matter which file format. There is plenty of disk space. And other files from this week work just fine. There hasn't been a change in the workflow. The message window just says: File could not be saved

I would like to have a sample NEF file from you that cannot be re-saved from Capture NX 1.3.2 if you could please send us one.  Please click on my name to the left of this message and then click on the "personal message" link, and then mention this issue.  I will respond with server upload instructions.

-Kirk

Will do that. Thanks Kirk for your support.

HM

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:58:02 PM »
Are the NEF files protected by any chance?

Deven

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 04:36:15 AM »
Are the NEF files protected by any chance?

Deven

No, nothing like that.

HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »
HM,

We are looking into your files right now.  We would like to know what version of Photo Mechanic you are currently using, and what versions of Photo Mechanic have touched the files you sent to us?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 04:55:14 PM »
HM,

Capture NX cannot handle non-ASCII (i.e. 8 bit) chars in IPTC fields it doesn't recognize.  If you put, for example, "Löwensaal" in the (sub)location field, then Capture NX will have problems with saving the file.  The same value in fields that Capture does recognize (e.g. caption, city) are OK.  I took your sample file and changed one single character in the IPTC record for Location field from 'ö' to 'o' and the file worked fine in Capture NX.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this.

--dennis

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »
Hello Dennis, Hello Kirk,

D200 file ingested with PM version 4.5.2 and D3 file with 4.5.3

But you are probably right the Umlaut ö is the bad guy here. I should have considered that in the first place, since everyone warns you about using Umlaut and capital letters in the workflow (especially on Linux run FTP servers).
I also made a test with Capture NX 1.3.1 on Mac OS 10.4.11: here the files work just fine.

Thanks a lot guys for your great support!

Cheers,
HM   

Offline HPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Hi

You can use accented characters (öäüß and so on) with PM and CNX.
Just set in PM Default IPTC Encoding to Microsoft Latin1+Euro and it will work.

Accented characters entered in PM can be read and changed in CNX.

Peter