Author Topic: Capture time resolution  (Read 3209 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Capture time resolution
« on: March 16, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »
When I sort NEF files by capture time, the sort is only correct down to the second, not the millisecond (important when you are shooting up to 9fps).  Could this be fixed in a future version?

Using Windows 4.5.3.

Deven

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Capture time resolution
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »
Deven,

I can see where you are coming from (I too have a 9/11fps beast  :)).  The problem is that not all cameras record the subsec time required for this to work, so I'm not sure if Kirk et al are willing to adjust their code to something that is not guaranteed to work always.

Anyway, as a work-around you could create a custom sort based on {datesort}{timesortlong} this should sort them correctly for you.

Hope this helps,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »
Any camera that does record at 9fps should also record the subsecond  ;)

What I have found in the past is that a lot of photo software only records the time to the second.  This is probably because the software is using some sort of database and the time field only goes to the second.

I did find a work around.  I placed this in the headline field and sorted by headline:

{hour24}:{minute}:{second}.{ssec}

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
Deven,

What I have found in the past is that a lot of photo software only records the time to the second.  This is probably because the software is using some sort of database and the time field only goes to the second.

I did find a work around.  I placed this in the headline field and sorted by headline:

{hour24}:{minute}:{second}.{ssec}

You could just create a Custom Sort with the same set of variables and then you wouldn't have to use the Headline IPTC field at all.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »

I agree, especially since there is a standard Exif tag for sub-seconds.  Well kinda: it is a "string" but the Exif spec isn't fully clear about what the values mean or whether they are zero padded for sorting purposes.  But for Nikon cameras (e.g. D300) this is a two digit (approx 1/100 second) zero padded value so it works nicely.  Last time I checked Nikon wrote this information but Canon didn't.

Kirk is right - no need to add metadata to your photo, just use {dats}{tmsl} to sort if you have subseconds (e.g. Nikon), or try {dats}{tims}{fnm4} for the custom sort if you don't have subseconds.  This sorts by date/time first, then by four digit frame number which you should have if you ingested using PM, even if you renamed your photos on ingest.  (Caveat - the latter won't work when your frame number advances from 9999 to 0000 in the same second ;)).

--dennis

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:53:53 PM by dennis »