Author Topic: Adding to Caption when Copy & Paste?  (Read 8686 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Adding to Caption when Copy & Paste?
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:46:37 PM »
I'm having trouble getting the "Add to Caption" feature to work and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or misunderstanding the feature. I have some images where I want to Copy and Paste the Keyword info and the Caption info, but I want to "Add To" rather than "Repace" the Caption info. I have checked the + key next to Caption in my ITPC Stationery pad and saved it, however when I use Copy and Paste in the IPTC Info window the Caption is still being replaced.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Adding to Caption when Copy & Paste?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »
Ric,

I'm having trouble getting the "Add to Caption" feature to work and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or misunderstanding the feature. I have some images where I want to Copy and Paste the Keyword info and the Caption info, but I want to "Add To" rather than "Repace" the Caption info. I have checked the + key next to Caption in my ITPC Stationery pad and saved it, however when I use Copy and Paste in the IPTC Info window the Caption is still being replaced.

Is there something else I should be doing?

The append checkbox only is effective for the IPTC Stationery Pad.  The append checkbox does not exist in the IPTC Info dialog.  You would have to use the IPTC Stationery Pad to append captions and keywords.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »
The append checkbox only is effective for the IPTC Stationery Pad.  The append checkbox does not exist in the IPTC Info dialog.  You would have to use the IPTC Stationery Pad to append captions and keywords.

Kirk, Thanks for the quick reply. Any chance of making this a Feature?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »
Ric,

Kirk, Thanks for the quick reply. Any chance of making this a Feature?

What exactly would be the feature?

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:28 PM »

Kirk, I'd like to be able to use the copy and paste feature in the IPTC Info window, but have the option of adding to, rather than replacing, the Caption and (if possible) also the Keywords.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 04:53:08 PM »
Ric,

Kirk, I'd like to be able to use the copy and paste feature in the IPTC Info window, but have the option of adding to, rather than replacing, the Caption and (if possible) also the Keywords.

OK, well the same mechanism that is used inside the IPTC Info dialog is also used directly from the Contact Sheet.  I'm not sure how we would convey that a paste may replace in one instance and append in another when no visible UI for the controls is available in the Contact Sheet.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 08:54:39 AM »
OK, well the same mechanism that is used inside the IPTC Info dialog is also used directly from the Contact Sheet.  I'm not sure how we would convey that a paste may replace in one instance and append in another when no visible UI for the controls is available in the Contact Sheet.

Ah, I didn't realize this command was available from the Edit menu in the Contact Sheet window. That does complicate it. Could an additional modifier key be used for "add to" rather than "replace"? Or could this just be an added function available only when the IPTC window is open (using the same + checks as in the ITPC template window?)

Thanks for fielding my questions!

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »
Ric,

Ah, I didn't realize this command was available from the Edit menu in the Contact Sheet window. That does complicate it. Could an additional modifier key be used for "add to" rather than "replace"? Or could this just be an added function available only when the IPTC window is open (using the same + checks as in the ITPC template window?)

Well, let's say that when you held down the Modifier key (Option on Mac, Shift on Windows) it would append.  But which fields would it append?  All fields?  Just Keywords?  Just Caption?

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:56:01 AM »
Well, let's say that when you held down the Modifier key (Option on Mac, Shift on Windows) it would append.  But which fields would it append?  All fields?  Just Keywords?  Just Caption?

I see your point. I guess the only option would be to have the + choices available only in the ITPC Window view. I, of course, have no idea what programming or functionality problems this might create...

It's just that I don't see how to get this functionality using the ITCP Stationary Pad. Have I missed this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:09:23 AM »
Ric,

I see your point. I guess the only option would be to have the + choices available only in the ITPC Window view. I, of course, have no idea what programming or functionality problems this might create...

It's just that I don't see how to get this functionality using the ITCP Stationary Pad. Have I missed this?

To do this with the IPTC Stationery Pad, you enter your new information in the fields you want to apply, then make sure the 'apply' checkboxes are set on the fields you want to apply, set the 'append' checkboxes how you want them, and then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to the selected photos in the contact sheet.  It will update them in one bulk operation.

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:43:43 AM »
This is a somewhat related question - when doing "Add to caption" in the IPTC stationary pad window, is there any way to have the additional added text pasted before the existing caption info, rather than after it?

This would be useful for me. Or even better the ability to have some text go before and some text go after, perhaps with some sort of before/after code... or perhaps using a code to signify placement of the existing caption info.

Cheers,

Ben

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 06:21:09 AM »
Ben,

This is a somewhat related question - when doing "Add to caption" in the IPTC stationary pad window, is there any way to have the additional added text pasted before the existing caption info, rather than after it?

This would be useful for me. Or even better the ability to have some text go before and some text go after, perhaps with some sort of before/after code... or perhaps using a code to signify placement of the existing caption info.

No, there is currently no way to prepend text.  I am thinking of ways to make this possible in a future version.

-Kirk