Author Topic: Web Email  (Read 9501 times)

Offline larrych

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Web Email
« on: March 20, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »
I have one of the many free Web-based email accounts, such a Google, Yahoo, or Hotmail. When I want to send email photos using PM, I am not able to send them via my normal Web-based email account.  In other words, I don't want to send photos using an address of a non-primary email account. I would suggest making Web-based emails possible in a new version of PM.  Any chance?

Larry Church

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Web Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »
Larry,

I have one of the many free Web-based email accounts, such a Google, Yahoo, or Hotmail. When I want to send email photos using PM, I am not able to send them via my normal Web-based email account.  In other words, I don't want to send photos using an address of a non-primary email account. I would suggest making Web-based emails possible in a new version of PM.  Any chance?

I'm not up on the state of third-party apps like Photo Mechanic having the ability to send mail through such services.  If they offered an API so we could send mail through them then I suppose we could support it.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:53:53 AM »
Larry,

If you have a Google mail account, you can use a normal e-mail application to send and receive Google mail.  Not all mail applications support it, but Thunderbird and Apple Mail do.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline steve_fine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
Kirk-

It is pretty easy to use a '3rd party' or web based email system directly.  You wouldn't be able
to preview or anything though.  You would connect directly to the email outgoing smtp
server on port 25.  You would also have to take care of encoding the image into an
attachment.  It is all doable.... read up on SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocall)
You would also have to prompt or store the users email username and password.

PM would basically become the email 'client'  Does that make sense?

Anyway, it is doable, just don't know if it is high enough on your list of things to do!
If you want anymore info feel free to let me know.

It might even be doable from the programable uploader stuff we discussed before.
Depends on what is there, but I could have my programmer look into that as well if
you are interested. 

Thanks

Steve F.

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 02:51:33 PM »
You would also have to take care of encoding the image into an
attachment.  It is all doable.... read up on SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocall)
You would also have to prompt or store the users email username and password.
ohh yeah PM with SMTP would be fine!! Kirk, but dont forget SMTP-TLS!
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 06:51:49 AM »
Is it so bad to send trough Mail.app or MAPI on windows?

I think it's much preferred solution rather than SMTP from PM. The way as it is, I have all my mail archived and I know I did sent it to the client, as well I can request automatic notifications of message received / message read.

That's all impossible with PM sending the mail by itself by SMTP!

Second, Gmail is accessible from all PC mail clients who use IMAP, that is both Outlook and Mail.app work without any problems, and many others if you hate Outlook.

In the light of that, I would like more if camerabits tackled more important things than SMTP support :)

Frantisek

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 06:59:39 AM »
hm yes, thats also a good point of view, Frantisek!
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline CrimsonCrow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • I Never Metaphysical I Didn't Like
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
I don't like using Mail.app as an interface for Gmail as I don't want my HD cluttered with the mail and attachments. I like that when using Gmail it is stored off my computer. And so, I am interested in a way to send photos from PM...unless I can figure out how to have Mail.app not download any mail and only use it to send...

Is this at all clear?  ???

Thanks.

Photo Mechanic 4.6.6
MacBook::Mac OS X::10.6.4::2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::2 GB 677 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
::Mac OS X::10.6.8::2.7 GHz Intel Core i7::2.7GHz MacBook Pro / PM v.4.6.8::

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:54 AM »
.unless I can figure out how to have Mail.app not download any mail and only use it to send...

When you set you set up the account in Mail there is a checkbox under the Advanced tab of the account settings that lets you exclude the account when checking for messages.  If you add the correct SMTP settings it should still send fine.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
You can also set up GMAIL through IMAP in Mail.app, and in Advanced tab of Accounts settings, keep copies of messages for offline viewing, select don't keep copies... and it will not clutter your HDD when you are offline, keeping only list of messages and downloading them for viewing only when you read a message, trashing the local cached copy afterwards.