Author Topic: Structured categories and supp cat ?  (Read 10100 times)

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
Structured categories and supp cat ?
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:57:19 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Could it be possible to create a "structured" way of applying the supplementary categories inside the IPTC Pad ? What we are looking for at my paper is a way that only the supp. cat. related to the main category show up in the supp. cat list.  e.g: We use NEWS, SPORTS, ARTS, ECONOMY, OTHERS as our main categories, if we choose news as a main category, we still have supp. cat. that are related to arts or sports showing up in the supp. cat. lists. Also, could there be a way to eventually customize (well, in fact translate to french) the variable names (e.g: city to “Ville”, caption to “Légende” and so on)

Many thanks,

Hugo-S. Aubert

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Structured categories and supp cat ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »
Hugo,

Could it be possible to create a "structured" way of applying the supplementary categories inside the IPTC Pad ? What we are looking for at my paper is a way that only the supp. cat. related to the main category show up in the supp. cat list.  e.g: We use NEWS, SPORTS, ARTS, ECONOMY, OTHERS as our main categories, if we choose news as a main category, we still have supp. cat. that are related to arts or sports showing up in the supp. cat. lists. Also, could there be a way to eventually customize (well, in fact translate to french) the variable names (e.g: city to “Ville”, caption to “Légende” and so on)

Let me see if I understand you correctly.  When you choose an item from the Category popup menu list, you want the lists for the Supplemental Categories to change to a set of items related to the choice in the Category field.  Is that right?

Yes, that could be possible but it would require custom programming on our end.

-Kirk

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:10:03 AM »
Yes that's right Kirk,

On selection of a Category item, the supp. category items would be related only to that category. I called it "structured" for a lack of a better description.

Many thanks for accepting this proposition. Any chance this could be implemented in the future ??

Best regards,

Hugo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:53:46 AM »
Hugo,

Yes that's right Kirk,

On selection of a Category item, the supp. category items would be related only to that category. I called it "structured" for a lack of a better description.

Many thanks for accepting this proposition. Any chance this could be implemented in the future ??

It depends entirely on how much benefit this would provide the average user of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
It depends entirely on how much benefit this would provide the average user of Photo Mechanic.

I second the idea being great since I find it to be rare one would want to use supp categories from an other main category. I think it is rare to have a supp cat under sports called painting. In case one would still need it, I think they still could have an option either to create a supp cat under the other main cat called the same way or not to use the structured working of categories like it is possible with keywords.

I would find it very useful to do the same change in location city and country and to bind together country codes with country names. My opinion is this works the same way and if you have similar city names in different countries you still can copy them under the other country too. On the other hand binding country names and country codes together can be vital since I think they simply should go together. Of course granting a replacement like country name list as editable to grant the possibilityto change the names ot one wants to use. Or it could be one way binding so selecting the country code would allways set the country but changing the country name would leave the country code unchanged.

As for the localised variable name I don't think it would be a good idea to translate any or all variables to any given language (especially because there is no localised version of PM yet as I know). But I think a few variables can be learned by anyone to be able to use it.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »
Oh, throw in my vote on this one. We use the AP Categories and Supplemental Categories as seen at this link:
http://www.ap.org/apserver/userguide/codes.htm

Not having to sort through saved supplemental sports codes when I select "A" as my category would be nice. Obviously this is not a crucial feature, I've gotten along just fine for years without it.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
Oh, throw in my vote on this one. We use the AP Categories and Supplemental Categories as seen at this link:
http://www.ap.org/apserver/userguide/codes.htm

Not having to sort through saved supplemental sports codes when I select "A" as my category would be nice. Obviously this is not a crucial feature, I've gotten along just fine for years without it.

Well I used to say "What is a computer good for if not to work instead of you?"
;-DD
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Dougmc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 06:12:32 AM »
I'm replying to this to re-visit the concept. I am finding myself in a new role that requires me to follow a very specific taxonomy that has three levels of categories. While the Structured Keyword option will work marvelously, having a similar functionality with Categories, Supp Cat 1, Supp Cat 2, etc. would be very beneficial.

Many thanks,
Hugo-S. Aubert