Author Topic: resetting the {seqn} back to 0001 every time the image date changes  (Read 25937 times)

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: resetting the {seqn} back to 0001 every time the image date changes
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 05:07:34 AM »
If I am understanding you correctly, this may help at least partly accomplish your goal.

In the ingest dialog, under "Copy Photos", if you have selected "into dated folder", images shot over multiple days will go into one folder, with the folder name being the date of the first image.
However, PM will allow you to ingest several days worth of photos and separate them into folders by date. In the ingest dialog, under "Copy Photos", select "into folder with name". Then use Variables to insert the date as your folder name. Now when you ingest photos, PM will create a new folder for each batch of images shot on a particular date.

The sequence variable will not reset to 0001 for each new date, but with the images separated into folders by date it would take seconds to select all the images from day 2 and rename them after the initial ingest is complete. Your example of YYYY-MM-DD_0001 would be {year4}-{month0}-{day0}_{seqn}. In the rename dialog, the snapshot feature allows you to store your favourite renaming string, so it would only be a few clicks of the mouse to rename a folder full of photos.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bazograhpy, though the / between YYYY/0M/YYYY-0M0D creates the multiple folders without having to use the "into folder with name" option, and yes I can then simply add a step to rename photo's in each folder after ingest.  I'm probably just being lazy, but having this done during ingest would certainly be preferred.

It's a contrived example I know, but it illustrates my point.  If the photos were sorted by Capture Time then the sequences would have worked fine.  But any other sort (including filename sort) has the potential for causing inconsistencies in the automatic reset feature.  I suppose if users didn't mind that the feature can be fooled, we could add a new variable called {autoseqn} that has the new behavior and leave the current {seqn} alone.

-Kirk

Kirk, this would be great!

Here is an example of what could be in a drop down list of {seqn} options.  These are the options available in FastStone:
Start from 1
Start from highest sequential number in the destination folder
Start from specified number
Use same sequential number from original file name

I prefer the behavior of, "Start from highest sequential number in the destination folder".

PM rules!

Tekrat
"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours."
Richard Bach, "ILLUSIONS"

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »
Kirk,

Possible "bug":  PM4.6 Beta, latest update 02/18
Windows XP SP2
Pentium Duo Core (Dell XPS 410)
4gb Ram

I noticed a behavior in the ingest dialog in the "Folder Name:" box that I thought I should bring to your attention.  I'm a new user so forgive if I'm overlooking something. 

When I attempt to separate variables with a forward slash "/", PM inserts a back-slash "\".  For example, I've created a folder naming convention of:  {yr4}/{mn0}/{yr4}-{mn0}-{day0} but it appears as: {yr4}\{mn0}\{yr4}-{mn0}-{day0}

Now, upon commencing ingest there are no issues or errors and the correct folders are created and named and files deposited according to date shot.  So there does not appear to be an issue related to this, other than the fact that when I hit the forward slash key on my key board (Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 V.1) PM inserts a back slash.  Note, I typed this message with same keyboard and this issue does not occur in normal text/typing as you can see.

In case you need to know, I'm electing the following in the preceding drop down boxes;
Source Directory Structure:  ignore-copy all photos into same destination
Copy Photos: into folder with name

I can provide a screen shot if needed, let me know if you need further information and thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
Kirk,

Possible "bug":  PM4.6 Beta, latest update 02/18
Windows XP SP2
Pentium Duo Core (Dell XPS 410)
4gb Ram

I noticed a behavior in the ingest dialog in the "Folder Name:" box that I thought I should bring to your attention.  I'm a new user so forgive if I'm overlooking something. 

When I attempt to separate variables with a forward slash "/", PM inserts a back-slash "\".  For example, I've created a folder naming convention of:  {yr4}/{mn0}/{yr4}-{mn0}-{day0} but it appears as: {yr4}\{mn0}\{yr4}-{mn0}-{day0}

Now, upon commencing ingest there are no issues or errors and the correct folders are created and named and files deposited according to date shot.  So there does not appear to be an issue related to this, other than the fact that when I hit the forward slash key on my key board (Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 V.1) PM inserts a back slash.  Note, I typed this message with same keyboard and this issue does not occur in normal text/typing as you can see.

In case you need to know, I'm electing the following in the preceding drop down boxes;
Source Directory Structure:  ignore-copy all photos into same destination
Copy Photos: into folder with name

I can provide a screen shot if needed, let me know if you need further information and thanks!

It's not a bug.  Backslashes are used to separate folder names on Windows.  You're on a Windows system so we enforce that for you.

-Kirk

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »

It's not a bug.  Backslashes are used to separate folder names on Windows.  You're on a Windows system so we enforce that for you.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Very good.  I believe I'd read in the 4.5 manual to use a forward slash in the ingest dialog box for the purpose of creating a folder hierarchy, so that must be specific to MAC.  Presumably with windows I would just use the backslash key. 

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »
Kirk, this would be great!

Here is an example of what could be in a drop down list of {seqn} options.  These are the options available in FastStone:
Start from 1
Start from highest sequential number in the destination folder
Start from specified number
Use same sequential number from original file name

I prefer the behavior of, "Start from highest sequential number in the destination folder".

How is it determined what the highest sequential number is?  The filenames can be of any format which could include several unrelated sets of numbers...

-Kirk

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 03:13:09 PM »
Probably I'm missing a use/understanding of PM's file naming/renaming capabilities that this request may potentially foul up, but on ingest the file names are being completely changed from those created by the camera to include the date shot followed by a sequence number for any photo with the same capture date.  The sequence number is determined by the time shot.  The highest sequence number in the folder is just that.

I have no problem with the idea that photo's taken as part of a shoot that extends past midnight are ingested into a new folder with the next days date and a new set of sequence numbers beginning again at 0001.  My master filing system of RAW images is strictly date oriented and with file names including the date and proper sequence number, which means there will never be any duplication of file names in the database. 

With the addition of proper Meta data and keywords to image files, searching and grouping photos in a myriad of ways, while keeping the original, unique base file name is no problem, adding abbreviated information to the file name in addition to the base file name works fine for naming versions. 

Hope this helps clarify and again, thanks!

Brett

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
Brett,

Probably I'm missing a use/understanding of PM's file naming/renaming capabilities that this request may potentially foul up, but on ingest the file names are being completely changed from those created by the camera to include the date shot followed by a sequence number for any photo with the same capture date.  The sequence number is determined by the time shot.  The highest sequence number in the folder is just that.

The sequence variable can appear anywhere in the renaming string, even multiple times if the user wishes it that way.  I was just wondering how FastStone did it?

-Kirk

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
Kirk,

I wish I was smart enough to answer the question (LOL)!  I don't know how the FastStone software is written, or how it knows, only that the options are as I laid them out earlier in the thread.  I would suppose since the naming string is determined in advance, with the sequence variable being located specifically relative to the other naming variables, the software knows to look at the last x number of digits to determine the highest sequence in the existing folder.

Do you think this or some variant is possible in a future version of PM?

Brett

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 07:32:27 PM »
Brett,

I wish I was smart enough to answer the question (LOL)!  I don't know how the FastStone software is written, or how it knows, only that the options are as I laid them out earlier in the thread.  I would suppose since the naming string is determined in advance, with the sequence variable being located specifically relative to the other naming variables, the software knows to look at the last x number of digits to determine the highest sequence in the existing folder.

Do you think this or some variant is possible in a future version of PM?

I really don't see how it could be written in a dependable way.  Renaming strings can be complex and quite variable.  Parsing filenames to determine that data would be very problematic.  Perhaps if the sequence data were saved in a file stored in the folder alongside the files then it could resume where it left off.

-Kirk

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 09:01:20 PM »
That's unfortunate, I love PM, but I did think I would have to continue using another software package for something so banal.  I'm sure the situation is over my head, so forgive my dissapointment.  Thanks for your consideration in the matter Kirk, I really appreciate it.

Brett

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »
Brett,

That's unfortunate, I love PM, but I did think I would have to continue using another software package for something so banal.  I'm sure the situation is over my head, so forgive my dissapointment.  Thanks for your consideration in the matter Kirk, I really appreciate it.

Here is an example of a possible filename:

2009_001_0920.JPG

Where is the sequence number?  Is it the 001, or the 0920?

It isn't a simple situation given Photo Mechanic's flexibility.  Perhaps this other product you mentioned has a more rigid renaming scheme and it always knows where in the filename the sequence number has to be?

-Kirk

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »
Kirk,

I've been looking at both PM and the other software, and you are correct in that the other software has a more rigid renaming convention.  That said, PM is already capable of adding a sequence variable to ingested photos in the "rename ingested photos as" dialog box.  For PM to perform an auto sequence on ingest into an existing folder it only needs to look for the {seqn} variable where it is told to create it in the newly ingested photos.   

The desired behavior would be that when the "Rename Ingested photos as:" check box is enabled, and a new variable like {seqna} is typed into the rename text box, PM will rename the photos based on the rename string as entered, but starting the sequence at 1 or continuing any existing sequence found in the same location of the existing file name as PM is told to place it in the new file name.  The number of sequence digits PM would look at would be determined by the digits sequence value entered.

Another option would be to add a check box under "Sequence Equals" that would be "Sequence Auto", where only one can be selected.  When "Sequence Auto" is checked PM would use the existing {seqn} command and the "sequence value" entered to begin sequence numbering with the next available number. Again, PM looks at existing filename's for a sequence number that is in the location and place value indicated in the renaming string.

An example renaming string would be: {yr4}-{mn0}-{day0}_{seqna} with a sequence variable value of 0001, which in this case PM uses only used to determine the number places to consider.

I hope this makes sense, please advise if you have any questions.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »
Brett,

I've been looking at both PM and the other software, and you are correct in that the other software has a more rigid renaming convention.  That said, PM is already capable of adding a sequence variable to ingested photos in the "rename ingested photos as" dialog box.  For PM to perform an auto sequence on ingest into an existing folder it only needs to look for the {seqn} variable where it is told to create it in the newly ingested photos.   

The desired behavior would be that when the "Rename Ingested photos as:" check box is enabled, and a new variable like {seqna} is typed into the rename text box, PM will rename the photos based on the rename string as entered, but starting the sequence at 1 or continuing any existing sequence found in the same location of the existing file name as PM is told to place it in the new file name.  The number of sequence digits PM would look at would be determined by the digits sequence value entered.

Another option would be to add a check box under "Sequence Equals" that would be "Sequence Auto", where only one can be selected.  When "Sequence Auto" is checked PM would use the existing {seqn} command and the "sequence value" entered to begin sequence numbering with the next available number. Again, PM looks at existing filename's for a sequence number that is in the location and place value indicated in the renaming string.

An example renaming string would be: {yr4}-{mn0}-{day0}_{seqna} with a sequence variable value of 0001, which in this case PM uses only used to determine the number places to consider.

I hope this makes sense, please advise if you have any questions.

I understand completely.  It still isn't a feature that is easy to make foolproof.  For instance if you always ingest into the same destination folder and you change your renaming scheme from time to time, then your method will fail.  Parsing filenames for numbers is just not a great way to go.  I think it would be better to save a small text file in the destination folder that says where the last {autoseqn} left off.

-Kirk

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 12:43:47 PM »
Kirk,

Sorry for the delayed response, out of town for a few days.  creating a file in the folder in each destination folder that would cue PM the last sequence number used would be fine with me, especially if it helps to facilitate what we're discussing while preventing any compromise of PM's current (and future) features and capability. 

Thanks again for your dialog on this, please let me know if there's any way I can assist (beta test or whatever).  Have a good week!

Brett