Author Topic: Scripting  (Read 5026 times)

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Scripting
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
I see remarks about an error in initialization of a "scripting engine", and some plugins that do quite a lot of powerful stuff, and I can't help but noticing that  a copy of Ruby seems to be installed as part of PM -- but the manual makes no reference to user access to scripting capabilities (beyond sending a file to a Photoshop droplet).

I'm trying to find some way to transfer rating information (I'm currently thinking of the star system; I might want to also transfer color info in some form in the future) from Photo Mechanic to Bibble Pro (which is the next step in my workflow; well, after renaming files in between).  Looks like Bibble has quite powerful scripting capabilities, so there are lots of different ways I could export the information that Bibble could import and do things with, probably.

I'm a software developer by profession, so the thought of having to do a small bit of programming is not going to scare me off :-).

Any suggestions where I should start looking? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Scripting
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
I see remarks about an error in initialization of a "scripting engine", and some plugins that do quite a lot of powerful stuff, and I can't help but noticing that  a copy of Ruby seems to be installed as part of PM -- but the manual makes no reference to user access to scripting capabilities (beyond sending a file to a Photoshop droplet).

I'm trying to find some way to transfer rating information (I'm currently thinking of the star system; I might want to also transfer color info in some form in the future) from Photo Mechanic to Bibble Pro (which is the next step in my workflow; well, after renaming files in between).  Looks like Bibble has quite powerful scripting capabilities, so there are lots of different ways I could export the information that Bibble could import and do things with, probably.

I'm a software developer by profession, so the thought of having to do a small bit of programming is not going to scare me off :-).

Any suggestions where I should start looking? 

Ruby is used to write Exporters and Uploaders in Photo Mechanic.  The rating, color class, etc. data is located in various parts of the image files themselves.  If you're having PM put your edits (tag, rating, and color class) into IPTC and/or XMP, the data is stored there as well.  You'd probably be able to do all of your scripting on the Bibble Pro side of things.

-Kirk