Author Topic: File numbering  (Read 7527 times)

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Peter Llewellyn Photography
File numbering
« on: June 15, 2006, 11:04:43 PM »
When I re-number my files I use the following {date}_PL_{seqn} (The initials indicating the photographer). However, each time a new date appears i.e. from one day to the next, the sequence number reverts back to zero. Is there any way for the sequence to continue from its last number? (The way it does if you just use sequence as your numbering system without the date being inserted)

many thanks

Peter
International Sports, Wildlife and Nature Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File numbering
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 12:38:25 AM »
When I re-number my files I use the following {date}_PL_{seqn} (The initials indicating the photographer). However, each time a new date appears i.e. from one day to the next, the sequence number reverts back to zero. Is there any way for the sequence to continue from its last number? (The way it does if you just use sequence as your numbering system without the date being inserted)

Are you renaming during Ingest or is this with the Rename command?

The sequence number shouldn't spontaneously reset no matter what variables you use in your renaming string.

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 09:15:34 AM »
Hi Kirk

The renumbering is being done using the copy command. We ingest the photos using the original file numbers, then caption, keyword and delete the rejects. Next we use the copy command selecting 'Move Photos (delete originals)' and 'Rename copied photos as:' to move the photos from our ingest folder into the folder for the event we are covering. This will work fine for several ingests on the same day but the following day (i.e.) following a date change, the sequence number will have reset to zero.

FYI we are using MacBook Pro's with OS X 10.4.6

I now realize this should have been a support request rather than a feature request - sorry

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 10:37:27 PM »
Hi Kirk

The renumbering is being done using the copy command. We ingest the photos using the original file numbers, then caption, keyword and delete the rejects. Next we use the copy command selecting 'Move Photos (delete originals)' and 'Rename copied photos as:' to move the photos from our ingest folder into the folder for the event we are covering. This will work fine for several ingests on the same day but the following day (i.e.) following a date change, the sequence number will have reset to zero.

FYI we are using MacBook Pro's with OS X 10.4.6

I now realize this should have been a support request rather than a feature request - sorry

And you're certain that you aren't Option-clicking on the Set Sequence... button?  That will cause it to reset.

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:58:12 PM »
Hi Kirk

No definitely no option clicking. The renumering is done by pressing Apple/Y and checking the Rename photos and Move Photos boxes. The numbering resets at midnight as the date changes. Incidentally I checked again today and the same thing happens if you re-number from withing the active contact sheet by pressing Apple/M. All works exactly as it should during a single day but as soon as the clock strikes midnight we are back to a sequence of 000001

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 02:26:49 PM »
Hi Kirk

No definitely no option clicking. The renumering is done by pressing Apple/Y and checking the Rename photos and Move Photos boxes. The numbering resets at midnight as the date changes. Incidentally I checked again today and the same thing happens if you re-number from withing the active contact sheet by pressing Apple/M. All works exactly as it should during a single day but as soon as the clock strikes midnight we are back to a sequence of 000001

Thanks for the extra information.  I'll look into this soon.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 06:51:19 AM »

I set my sequence number to 0345 last night.  This morning I ran Photo Mechanic and checked the sequence number with the Set Sequence dialog and it is still 0345 and not 0001.

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 08:23:47 AM »
Hi Kirk

Yesterday I deleted my copy of Photomechanic and then re-installed and re-set the number sequence. This morning I checked the numbering sequence and it has been been retained. I don't know if somehow some sort of problem had crept in that this has cured.

Many thanks

Peter