Author Topic: Missing image(s) warning - Please  (Read 5599 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Missing image(s) warning - Please
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
I know PM keeps track of frames ingested so as not to ingest them again. Now with Memory cards being cheaper I have a few... Would it be possible to give me a warning when images are missing from an ingest. Say I forget to ingest a card from a shoot of 4 or 5 cards. PM could say "Warning PM noticed 154 images missing from img3121 to 3275" or like the error report say img3121 missing in yellow (one or 2 missing or so in yellow probably deleted while chimping) then 154 sequential images missing - in RED - probable lost card)

This would give me an early warning to start looking for a missing card.
Thanks
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Missing image(s) warning - Please
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
How would you envision this?
How could Photomechanic determine that a card was missing from an ingest sequence?  Remembering the last ingested frame number wouldn't work for various reasons; for instance, when shooting with multiple cameras, or when you reset the frame number, deleted files from your card, etc.

To be honest, I do not see how this could be implemented properly. Maybe you have a suggestion?

For now, the only thing you could do is to have incremental ingest turned-on and check every memory card manually  :(

Sorry,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:27:47 AM »
PM already keeps track of (maybe on the card) of ingested images. I think it could keep track on the PC of the actuations # & the camera serial # from the EXIF data - if it sees a gap of more the X on body A (by serial #) PM issuses a "missing X images warning". Reseting the frame number would have no effect on the accuation variable.
I don't think this would be difficult for the talented people at Camera Bits  ;)
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline mbrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »
I imagine this would be very hard to do.  Multiple camera would make it difficult, and also if you have deleted any pics in camera, that could also throw a spanner in the works.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 04:34:22 AM »
PM already keeps track of (maybe on the card) of ingested images. I think it could keep track on the PC of the actuations # & the camera serial # from the EXIF data - if it sees a gap of more the X on body A (by serial #) PM issuses a "missing X images warning". Reseting the frame number would have no effect on the accuation variable.
I don't think this would be difficult for the talented people at Camera Bits  ;)

The problem is that a whole host of cameras don't have the serial number embedded so this wouldn't work reliably  :(
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:24:30 AM »
PM is used by many professionals with Pro gear - most of which have serial numbers in their cameras. I don't think the good people at Camera Bits have ever said "that feature will only help the Pro - lets not develope it".

It only has to work reliably for those that need it - if the info is not there there would be no warning.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC