Author Topic: Export ratings to Extensis Portfolio  (Read 7378 times)

Offline thelight

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Export ratings to Extensis Portfolio
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »
I am in the demo phase of PM 4.5.3.1.  I like it but I am trying to find a way for my numerical and/ or color ratings can be made visible in my cataloging app., Extensis Porfolio 8.1.1.  How do I do this?  Is the rating in PM XMP data?  If it is I may be able to map it.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Export ratings to Extensis Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:43:56 PM »
I am in the demo phase of PM 4.5.3.1.  I like it but I am trying to find a way for my numerical and/ or color ratings can be made visible in my cataloging app., Extensis Porfolio 8.1.1.  How do I do this?  Is the rating in PM XMP data?  If it is I may be able to map it.

Yes.  We use the same XMP fields as Adobe.  If you examine the XMP file with a text editor, you'll find them in there.

-Kirk

Offline thelight

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:21:20 AM »
It worked.  Thanks.  Is the color rating in PM supported the same way?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
It worked.  Thanks.  Is the color rating in PM supported the same way?

Yes.  We write out the names of the color labels you have set on your images to XMP.

-Kirk

Offline thelight

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:44:36 PM »
Thanks again Kirk.  One more question.  I notice the color and numerical ratings now export nicely to Extensis Portfolio.  When I remove these ratings in PM Extensis does not do the same.  Is there a way I can adjust PM so it in essence "exports" a blank field?  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:57:29 PM »
Thanks again Kirk.  One more question.  I notice the color and numerical ratings now export nicely to Extensis Portfolio.  When I remove these ratings in PM Extensis does not do the same.  Is there a way I can adjust PM so it in essence "exports" a blank field?  Thanks.

No, not that I know of.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:51:10 AM »
Thanks again Kirk.  One more question.  I notice the colour and numerical ratings now export nicely to Extensis Portfolio.  When I remove these ratings in PM Extensis does not do the same.  Is there a way I can adjust PM so it in essence "exports" a blank field?  Thanks.

As far as I can see, PM writes "0" if you change the star or colour rating to none. So Extensis should in theory pick up the zero as zero, and remove the rating. If it does not, than it's likely a problem with Extensis. 
However, did you reread the metadata from the files there? Extensis stores the imported photos metadata in it's catalogue, so if you change the metadata (incl. rating) outside Extensis Portfolio, after you have imported them into the catalogue, you will have to refresh the files from originals to reread the metadata. Not being acquainted with Extensis Portfolio, I don't know how it is done, but usually such option exists in cataloguing apps.