Author Topic: Upload to Photoshelter - file size?  (Read 3206 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Upload to Photoshelter - file size?
« on: March 29, 2008, 07:04:16 PM »
I recently upgraded to the newest release (4.5.3.1) on an XP Pro Machine - I skipped a couple minor upgrades. When I uploaded to Photoshelter the dialog box lost my settings. (even the saved setting which I did not loose are now much larger) Now when I upload the file sizes are 200 to 250kb they used to be 50 to 75 kb. My original jpg's are from a D2xs around 3000kb.
My settings were & Are to fit box, 512 pixels, jpg quality on the 3rd tick from low. The original is 3460kb the estimate says 55.47 kb but the file uploaded is 232.8kb.
I lowered the jpg quality to the 2nd tick, the est went to 35.24 but the file size is the same.
I lowered the jpg quality to the 1st tick, the est went to 14.27 but the file size went to 77.2.
I raised to the jpg quality to the 4nd tick the est went to 75.62 but the file size back to 232.8
I raised to the jpg quality to the 5th tick the est went to 92.29 but the file size is the 232.8
Let me know if you want me to keep going.
Thanks for your great work.
Joe
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upload to Photoshelter - file size?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »
Joe,

I recently upgraded to the newest release (4.5.3.1) on an XP Pro Machine - I skipped a couple minor upgrades. When I uploaded to Photoshelter the dialog box lost my settings. (even the saved setting which I did not loose are now much larger) Now when I upload the file sizes are 200 to 250kb they used to be 50 to 75 kb. My original jpg's are from a D2xs around 3000kb.
My settings were & Are to fit box, 512 pixels, jpg quality on the 3rd tick from low. The original is 3460kb the estimate says 55.47 kb but the file uploaded is 232.8kb.
I lowered the jpg quality to the 2nd tick, the est went to 35.24 but the file size is the same.
I lowered the jpg quality to the 1st tick, the est went to 14.27 but the file size went to 77.2.
I raised to the jpg quality to the 4nd tick the est went to 75.62 but the file size back to 232.8
I raised to the jpg quality to the 5th tick the est went to 92.29 but the file size is the 232.8

Try turning off chrominance subsampling.

Also, if your images now have IPTC data and/or an embedded ICC profile, the final images will definitely be larger than the estimate.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:48:03 AM »
Hi Kirk - Subsample Chroma is already unchecked, Apply Iptc & Preserve exif have remained the same as has the embedded ICC profile.

My concern is that the file size does not change (like it used to) from one JPG quality setting to the next. From 11 to 2 are the same file size then 1 jumps down to a smaller file.
I've uploaded all 11 sample files from the same image to http://www.jasphoto.com/pm_problem/001.jpg to 011.jpg
They are all identical except for 001.jpg done at the lowest quality jpg.

That's got to be a bug.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
Joe,

Hi Kirk - Subsample Chroma is already unchecked, Apply Iptc & Preserve exif have remained the same as has the embedded ICC profile.

My concern is that the file size does not change (like it used to) from one JPG quality setting to the next. From 11 to 2 are the same file size then 1 jumps down to a smaller file.
I've uploaded all 11 sample files from the same image to http://www.jasphoto.com/pm_problem/001.jpg to 011.jpg
They are all identical except for 001.jpg done at the lowest quality jpg.

That's got to be a bug.

You're right.  We're fixing it in the 4.5.3.2 update.

-Kirk