Author Topic: keyword workflow  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
keyword workflow
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:50:24 AM »
Hello.  This is a two part question.  First of all I would like to find out what the purpose of the lightning bolt besides the color classes in the prefferences control panel is.  In other parts of PM the lightning bolt is used to save a profile or to change them.  On my computer (OSX 10.52) it does nothing when it is clicked, so I was wondering if that is a bug.

The reason I'm asking is that the way I like to put in keywords is while browsing full screen.  I look at a picture and I use tagging to denote bad shots to be deleted, and then depending on what I am grading, I used colors to further decide what to do with a shot.

My problem is that I have a bad memory and would like to have one set of colors for the racing I do, another for weddings and another for say, personal stuff.  So if I'm going through a folder from a wedding, I would like to select a set of colors, for example a light blue set, so that I can tag a shot of a bride with a certain color and a reception shot another set.  The colors don't matter that much, its more just so I don't get mixed up with my own system.  The purpose of all of that is for fast keywording.  My keywording is simple, I like to put only one keyword so that later I can do a search by category, such as brides, easily.  So the idea is to go through a folder, give colors to the various categories and then automatically assign a keyword in one fast batch.

I do mostly racing but find that the set of colors I have don't work for other types of shooting because I forget what I intend to use each color for.  So .... is there any way to make it where PM can save sets of colors, along side with the names we set for them?  It would be great if they could also be changed without a trip to the prefference panel, but that would just be "gravy".

I find that keywording is my biggest frustration and biggest time waster.  I like very much how Aperture handles this.  In Aperture, you can make sets of keywords and then hit a number to apply the keyword.  It works fast and intuitively for me.  I just pull down the set, for example weddings, and then as I look at each shot for a second, I can grade it with a star or color and one keystroke fills in a keyword as well.  Is there any way to implement such a possibility for PM?

I'm also open to any suggestions on how to keyword images but need to say that mousing around is not my stile.  I have problems with carpal tunnel which mousing makes worse - so I really appreciate working from a keyboard.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: keyword workflow
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »
Pavel,

Hello.  This is a two part question.  First of all I would like to find out what the purpose of the lightning bolt besides the color classes in the preferences control panel is.  In other parts of PM the lightning bolt is used to save a profile or to change them.  On my computer (OSX 10.52) it does nothing when it is clicked, so I was wondering if that is a bug.

That is indeed a bug!  I'll fix it right away.

Quote from: Pavel
The reason I'm asking is that the way I like to put in keywords is while browsing full screen.  I look at a picture and I use tagging to denote bad shots to be deleted, and then depending on what I am grading, I used colors to further decide what to do with a shot.

My problem is that I have a bad memory and would like to have one set of colors for the racing I do, another for weddings and another for say, personal stuff.  So if I'm going through a folder from a wedding, I would like to select a set of colors, for example a light blue set, so that I can tag a shot of a bride with a certain color and a reception shot another set.  The colors don't matter that much, its more just so I don't get mixed up with my own system.  The purpose of all of that is for fast keywording.  My keywording is simple, I like to put only one keyword so that later I can do a search by category, such as brides, easily.  So the idea is to go through a folder, give colors to the various categories and then automatically assign a keyword in one fast batch.

I do mostly racing but find that the set of colors I have don't work for other types of shooting because I forget what I intend to use each color for.  So .... is there any way to make it where PM can save sets of colors, along side with the names we set for them?  It would be great if they could also be changed without a trip to the preference panel, but that would just be "gravy".

That's what that snapshot button was supposed to do if it were working properly.

Quote from: Pavel
I find that keywording is my biggest frustration and biggest time waster.  I like very much how Aperture handles this.  In Aperture, you can make sets of keywords and then hit a number to apply the keyword.  It works fast and intuitively for me.  I just pull down the set, for example weddings, and then as I look at each shot for a second, I can grade it with a star or color and one keystroke fills in a keyword as well.  Is there any way to implement such a possibility for PM?

I'm also open to any suggestions on how to keyword images but need to say that mousing around is not my stile.  I have problems with carpal tunnel which mousing makes worse - so I really appreciate working from a keyboard.  Thanks.

Have you tried the Keywords Panel?  With a single key combo, you can apply selected keywords to the selected photos.  You can use the snapshot button to make sets of keywords that you can switch between quickly.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
Have you tried the Keywords Panel?  With a single key combo, you can apply selected keywords to the selected photos.  You can use the snapshot button to make sets of keywords that you can switch between quickly.

How do you do this with a "single key?"  I can see how do it with a single mouse click, but not a key.

Also, can the Keywords Panel be accessed in Preivew and IPTC mode?  It appears you can only use it in the Contact Sheet.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:35:52 AM »
Deven,

How do you do this with a "single key?"  I can see how do it with a single mouse click, but not a key.

Hover your mouse cursor over the button and a tooltip should appear with the keyboard equivalent in it.

Quote from: devenh
Also, can the Keywords Panel be accessed in Preivew and IPTC mode?  It appears you can only use it in the Contact Sheet.

That's correct.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
I hovered over every button on the Keywords Panel and there were no tooltips.  Windows 4.5.3.

I think the utility of the Keywords Panel (and other dialog boxes) would be enhanced if they were available in all viewing modes (contact sheet, preview, and IPTC info).

Deven