Author Topic: Renaming of individual files, a refinement  (Read 2927 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Renaming of individual files, a refinement
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »
Hi,

Sorry if I missed how to do this. I see that I can easily rename one file by clicking on the name, making my change, and then hitting return. I love how the extension gets out of the way! However, I wish that when I hit "Tab" it would save the name and move me to the next name field (right now when I hit tab it just exits the field without saving the changes). Is it possible to add this?

Here's an example of when it would be handy: When I shoot still-life I'll frequently shoot a bracket or make some other change that I want to keep track of. I like to name the basic shot, shoot my variations, and later add something to the end of the file name to show how they differ. I don't think this is something that can be solved with Batch Renaming!

Ric Cohn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming of individual files, a refinement
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »
Ric,

Sorry if I missed how to do this. I see that I can easily rename one file by clicking on the name, making my change, and then hitting return. I love how the extension gets out of the way! However, I wish that when I hit "Tab" it would save the name and move me to the next name field (right now when I hit tab it just exits the field without saving the changes). Is it possible to add this?

Here's an example of when it would be handy: When I shoot still-life I'll frequently shoot a bracket or make some other change that I want to keep track of. I like to name the basic shot, shoot my variations, and later add something to the end of the file name to show how they differ. I don't think this is something that can be solved with Batch Renaming!

While I don't usually think of the Tab key as confirming changes to something as important as renaming a file, I can see how it would make it feel like progressing through fields in a dialog.

I'll talk it over with the rest of the team and see what they think.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Re: Renaming of individual files, a refinement
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:55:08 PM »
While I don't usually think of the Tab key as confirming changes to something as important as renaming a file, I can see how it would make it feel like progressing through fields in a dialog.

I'll talk it over with the rest of the team and see what they think.

-Kirk

Thanks for considering this! BTW, both Bridge and CaptureOne already function this way, so it's not an atypical keyboard convention.

Speaking of making inadvertent changes to "something as important as renaming a file", I was very happy to find that command-z works for undo when I do make a mistake when typing in a new name, good show for us bad typists!

Ric