Author Topic: IPTC Stationery Pad disaster recovery  (Read 6947 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
IPTC Stationery Pad disaster recovery
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:49:03 AM »
The IPTC Stationery Pad is a wonderfully powerful tool, but alas there is no undo feature. 

Couldn't PM keep a copy of the last version of each file's IPTC info for recovery purposes?

Understanding that there is no undo feature, I am generally check any global changes very carefully before performing them, but (and you knew this was coming ...) I messed up and wiped out the IPTC info of several hundred files (a couple of hours of work).  The good new is that I had a backup.  The bad news is that I had performed a couple of hours worth of image edits on the photos that now have the "bad" IPTC info.

What to do?  Since I only shoot raw, I extracted the jpgs from the backup images and copied them to the directory containing the raw files with the "bad" IPTC info.  Then I used the Update IPTC/XMP tool to copy the IPTC info from the jpgs to the raw files, and voila, fixed  :)  I'd still rather have an undo feature ...

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Stationery Pad disaster recovery
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:12:07 AM »
Deven,

The IPTC Stationery Pad is a wonderfully powerful tool, but alas there is no undo feature. 

Couldn't PM keep a copy of the last version of each file's IPTC info for recovery purposes?

Where would this information be kept?  To do this would require either lots of little shadow files, or some sort of database.  All of this would slow things down and we keep hearing from our customers: "keep PM fast!"

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:28:58 AM »
Kirk,

I'm all in favor of fast, but safe is good too  ;)

I'll leave the design up to you.  In terms of speed, I'd be hard pressed to believe that this would have any noticeable affect on performance given the computing power available.  If one were to edit 1,000 images with 2kb of IPTC info per image, that is 2mb of data to retain for undo purposes.  Doesn't seem very resource intensive given the risk.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »
Deven,

I'm all in favor of fast, but safe is good too  ;)

I'll leave the design up to you.  In terms of speed, I'd be hard pressed to believe that this would have any noticeable affect on performance given the computing power available.  If one were to edit 1,000 images with 2kb of IPTC info per image, that is 2mb of data to retain for undo purposes.  Doesn't seem very resource intensive given the risk.

There are entire management issues to deal with.  Images can be moved around outside of PM, changed outside of PM, deleted, etc.

It's not a simple task to do what you have requested.  But I'll think on it.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 03:18:58 AM »
I messed up and wiped out the IPTC info of several hundred files (a couple of hours of work).  The good new is that I had a backup.  The bad news is that I had performed a couple of hours worth of image edits on the photos that now have the "bad" IPTC info.

What to do?  Since I only shoot raw, I extracted the jpgs from the backup images and copied them to the directory containing the raw files with the "bad" IPTC info.  Then I used the Update IPTC/XMP tool to copy the IPTC info from the jpgs to the raw files, and voila, fixed  :)  I'd still rather have an undo feature ...

Deven, what you did was exactly what I was going to suggest to solve your problem.  I think requesting an undo function here is a bit too much, and too complex to implement...

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 06:47:44 AM »
Hayo,

Would you purchase a word processor or text editor that did not have an undo feature?  No, absolutely not.  So why should we expect anything less from PM?

I was able to recover from my mistake because I had a backup copy.  We all know we should regularly backup our data, but for many reasons we don't or we don't do it frequently enough.  In this case, I was lucky and I had a recent backup.

I certainly understand that PM does not have an undo feature.  As a result, before I apply an IPTC edit to more than a couple of images, I check the edit on a single file.  I did so in this case, and it was fine.  What I did wrong is copy a key piece of data unique to that particular image to all the rest (thus wiping out that field -- the field I had spent hours keying in).

If the recommendation is to always backup your data before applying a large edit, then I would argue that this slows down one's workflow significantly and that this is contrary to what PM is designed to be (i.e. fast).

I also think that having such a feature would be a strong marketing point for PM and make it more successful.

From a technical standpoint, I don't see it as difficult to implement a single level (last change) undo.  There is just not that much data in each IPTC record, so saving thousands of images worth of data is not that significant.

Perhaps an alternative solution would be to provide a backup IPTC command where the user could backup the data first and then apply the IPTC edits.  If a disaster occurs, then one could recover the old IPTC data.

Deven

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
Deven, I do understand where you are coming from!  A similar disaster like yours also happened to me (more than once).  So yes, it would be nice to have such an undo capability.  However, as Kirk already indicated, this is not a simple thing to implement and perhaps doesn't have the highest priority.

And as to whether I would buy a word processor without an undo function, well not anymore as all of them have this capability now.  On the other hand, I started using computers when there was not really an undo function at all in most programs.  This has never stopped me from getting done what I required, you just had to be cautious (and have a backup plan if you performed something "drastic")

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline photostrupp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Christian Strupp Photographer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:43 AM »
Hi there,

a "undo" function would be fine. I just replaced a lot of of IPTC data I did not want to replace. "Only" 47 pics, but all different.
:-(  :-(

Regards, Christian