Author Topic: Drives listed in ingest dialog  (Read 21072 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Drives listed in ingest dialog
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
I see. Sorry :) it makes sense. Could you still please add same functionality for such folder starting with dot? It's the only way I know under OS X to make it invisible in the Finder (as you wrote, it's regarded as system folder), and would be nice for users who know how to use terminal.

Thanks!

Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »
Frantisek,

I see. Sorry :) it makes sense. Could you still please add same functionality for such folder starting with dot? It's the only way I know under OS X to make it invisible in the Finder (as you wrote, it's regarded as system folder), and would be nice for users who know how to use terminal.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
Create a folder on those drives you want to ignore called "PMIngestIgnore" and they should no longer appear.
-Kirk

Sorry Kirk, but this is a bit strange. Why not at least use .PMIngestIgnore (note the dot) ? That way the stupid folder wouldn't show up in Finder cluttering the view...

Because the Finder won't let you name a folder starting with a '.'...  You'll get the following error message:

You cannot use a name that begins with a dot ".", because these names are reserved for the system.  Please choose another name.

One would have to use the Terminal and mkdir and we don't expect our users to have to know how to use Unix.

-Kirk

Well PM could have a dialog where users can select which drives to exclude and PM would create thes dummy folders to be hidden. This way no (or less) cluttering, and userfriendlyness kept. By the way OSX does the clutter with its dummy folders anyway, so does PM add its files upon ingest or even when doing an arangement in the contact sheet. So the clutter is there anyway.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »
Frantisek,

-Kirk

I think he refers to what I wrote in my last post, added that PM should ignore folders having the PMIngestIgnore folder and also behave the same way when .PMIngestIgnore is created by the user (or maybe a later settings dialog) to be hidden instead of being visible.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »
Frantisek,

-Kirk

I think he refers to what I wrote in my last post, added that PM should ignore folders having the PMIngestIgnore folder and also behave the same way when .PMIngestIgnore is created by the user (or maybe a later settings dialog) to be hidden instead of being visible.

Exactly. Use the PMIngestIgnore and on mac, also please honour .PMIngestIgnore folders, which, although created only from the terminal, have the benefit of not being visible and not cluttering the normal finder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »
Frantisek,

-Kirk

Exactly. Use the PMIngestIgnore and on mac, also please honour .PMIngestIgnore folders, which, although created only from the terminal, have the benefit of not being visible and not cluttering the normal finder.

I'll see what we can do.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 07:32:46 AM »
This issue was still bugging me, and with a little searching I found a post on Mac OS X Hints that seems to work.  I hid my PMIngestIgnore folders with this method and they do not appear in the Finder, but they still seem to hide drives correctly from the Ingest dialog.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20091229093051878

sidewinder

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
Sam,

It is easier than that. Just name the folder ".PMIngestIgnore" using Terminal.

Let's say you have a volume named "Archive" that you don't want to show up in the "Ingest Disks" list. Open Terminal and type this command:

mkdir /Volumes/Archive/.PMIngestIgnore

That's it. The volume "Archive" will no longer show up in the "Ingest Disks" list.

Scott