Author Topic: Drives listed in ingest dialog  (Read 21069 times)

Offline Serge Nelissen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Drives listed in ingest dialog
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Hi Kirk,

In the Ingest dialog, the removable drives are listed by drive letter (and the amount of used space).
I have a bunch of removable drives and cannot always remember which drive letter stands for the CF card I inserted.
Could you display the volume of the drive too ? That would make it a lot easier to recognize it.

Thanks,

Serge
Serge from Belgium (8 months winter - 4 months bad weather)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Re: Drives listed in ingest dialog
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:56:44 AM »
Second that. Deven

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:44:28 PM »
I second the idea but this only helps if the letter assignments never change. I never knew on my Win machine which letter stands for which slot/card/etc.

Neither do I know which volume label stands for which drive on my Mac since formatting in camera makes all my cards be called some EOS_DIGITAL.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »
This is something I had asked for a while ago (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1718), and Kirk seemed receptive to the idea.

On a Windows system you can also setup a "name" for each drive (e.g. "CF/MD", "SD/MMC", etc.), which makes it MUCH easier to keep track of which drive is which. It would be easy for PM to read this info from the Windows registry, and it would be a big help if displayed as part of the Ingest dialog.

-Ian

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:06:42 AM »
However it is no solution on a Mac system and I think (hope) they are looking for a dual system solution.

I woludl also like an option of either auto removal of the downloaded drive.

Also the best would be to keep the cameras from renaming the cards upon format. But even Camerabits recommends to format in camera before each uses.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:54:10 AM »
Quote from: szurkebarat
However it is no solution on a Mac system and I think (hope) they are looking for a dual system solution.

This is true, but it would be a very big help on a Window system. Also, while I'm sure the goal is to keep the Windows and Mac versions of PM nearly identical, there will always be some slight differences due to the fact that the approaches these two operating systems take to some concepts are different. The fact that Windows refers to drives by letters while the Mac OS uses the volume labels is a perfect example of this.

I woludl also like an option of either auto removal of the downloaded drive.

There is an option to "Unmount Source Disk(s) after Ingest" (at least on version 4.5.3 for Windows).

Also the best would be to keep the cameras from renaming the cards upon format. But even Camerabits recommends to format in camera before each uses.

You could use the "Erase Source Disk(s) after Ingest" option, which will clear off all the files while leaving the volume name intact, rather than formating the card before every use. An occasional reformatting in camera followed by a re-assignment of the appropriate volume label in the computer can always be done if you still feel the need to do so.

-Ian

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »
Wouldn't just making the (unwanted) removable drives not show up in the Ingest list at all be easier?  If you add a folder named "pmingestignore" into the root of any drive it will no longer show up as an option in the Ingest dialog.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »
Wouldn't just making the (unwanted) removable drives not show up in the Ingest list at all be easier?  If you add a folder named "pmingestignore" into the root of any drive it will no longer show up as an option in the Ingest dialog.

Would it be possible to have an "Exclude these Drives" dialog somewhere in PM's Ingest preferences, similar to Spotlight's exclude dialog, instead of having PMIngestIgnore folders cluttering up all my hard drives?

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:13:27 PM »

Would it be possible to have an "Exclude these Drives" dialog somewhere in PM's Ingest preferences, similar to Spotlight's exclude dialog, instead of having PMIngestIgnore folders cluttering up all my hard drives?

Agreed.  I have a lot of partitions on 4 physical hard drives so there is a very long list of drive letters in my Ingest Source Path dialog.  Since only a few partitions contain image files I would love to be able to exclude the many unwanted internal drives from the list so I see only drives that actually contain image files.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »
William,

Agreed.  I have a lot of partitions on 4 physical hard drives so there is a very long list of drive letters in my Ingest Source Path dialog.  Since only a few partitions contain image files I would love to be able to exclude the many unwanted internal drives from the list so I see only drives that actually contain image files.

Create a folder on those drives you want to ignore called "PMIngestIgnore" and they should no longer appear.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 01:10:51 AM »
William,

Create a folder on those drives you want to ignore called "PMIngestIgnore" and they should no longer appear.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk, but, with all due respect, that is not an acceptable solution.  As Sam noted, I also don't want dummy folders (PMIngestIgnore) cluttering up my directory structure.  It would be far better to have a preference setting in PM that allowed users to eliminate unwanted drives from the list.

Thanks

Bill Wood

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 03:49:14 AM »
-Kirk

Sorry Kirk, but this is a bit strange. Why not at least use .PMIngestIgnore (note the dot) ? That way the stupid folder wouldn't show up in Finder cluttering the view...

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 06:52:06 AM »
Kirk,

Will PM still detect the PMIngestIgnore folder on a Windows system if it is marked as a hidden folder?

-Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 07:11:21 AM »
Ian,

Will PM still detect the PMIngestIgnore folder on a Windows system if it is marked as a hidden folder?

I haven't tried it, but I expect it would work.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 07:15:14 AM »
-Kirk

Sorry Kirk, but this is a bit strange. Why not at least use .PMIngestIgnore (note the dot) ? That way the stupid folder wouldn't show up in Finder cluttering the view...

Because the Finder won't let you name a folder starting with a '.'...  You'll get the following error message:

You cannot use a name that begins with a dot ".", because these names are reserved for the system.  Please choose another name.

One would have to use the Terminal and mkdir and we don't expect our users to have to know how to use Unix.

-Kirk