Author Topic: Display limits?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline scregl@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Display limits?
« on: April 07, 2008, 01:29:56 PM »
 My browser and preview displays have been acting up lately.  The directory name under the toolbar vanishes if I have the browser thumbnails fill more than half the display. Also, I can not display some images full screen with the preview window. Some images won't display if I hit Z to zoom to 100% pixels.  This is a new set of problems.  The files that are affected are both JPGs ( 1 to 3 mb's) and NEFs (15-17 mb's). I've been running Photo Mechanic on this windows (Media Center Edition) for over a year and have not had these problems before. I run two monitors on a single video card - one is a 1280 x1024 and the other is 1600x1200. The problem occurs on each monitor.  Task manager shows 1.3gb used out of 3.5gb ram available. 

I used to be able to get directory names across the toolbar and select any one, and full screen previews always worked.

Do you any tips on how to get back full screen thumbnails with directory names and full screen previews, or a method to identify the problem?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Display limits?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:20:35 PM »
My browser and preview displays have been acting up lately.  The directory name under the toolbar vanishes if I have the browser thumbnails fill more than half the display. Also, I can not display some images full screen with the preview window. Some images won't display if I hit Z to zoom to 100% pixels.  This is a new set of problems.  The files that are affected are both JPGs ( 1 to 3 mb's) and NEFs (15-17 mb's). I've been running Photo Mechanic on this windows (Media Center Edition) for over a year and have not had these problems before. I run two monitors on a single video card - one is a 1280 x1024 and the other is 1600x1200. The problem occurs on each monitor.  Task manager shows 1.3gb used out of 3.5gb ram available. 

I used to be able to get directory names across the toolbar and select any one, and full screen previews always worked.

Do you any tips on how to get back full screen thumbnails with directory names and full screen previews, or a method to identify the problem?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

Could you post a screenshot of what you're describing?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline scregl@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks much for your prompt reply.

I am using Photo Mechanic version 4.5.3.1

attached is a jpg screen shot that shows the directory labels with a half screen of thumbnails.

also attached is an MS word file that has a screen shot that shows NO directory labels with a full screen of thumbnails.

I was unable to get Photoshop to make a "new" file using the clipboard and edit/paste was grayed out, so I inserted it in the word file. The "new" file using the clipboard for the half screen worked fine.

p.s. I re-booted and Photo Mechanic works OK for a while, but after I use Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Winamp, then Photo Mechanic begins to have the problem as shown in these screen shots.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline scregl@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »
Kirk,

Here is the jpg file with a screen shot of the half screen with labels. It didn't seem to go with my first reply.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »
Here is the jpg file with a screen shot of the half screen with labels. It didn't seem to go with my first reply.

OK, I see the screenshot but I'm not sure what is wrong?  Are the folder names incomplete?  The filenames incomplete?

-Kirk

Offline scregl@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
Kirk,

There is nothing wrong with the jpg file I sent you. Notice it is only 1/2 of a window size. the Full window version, which does not show the directory labels at the top, could not be pasted into a new photoshop image. The "edit / paste" selection was greyed out. However, I could get Microsoft Word to accept a "Paste" into their document. This document was sent with my prior post. I will attach it to this post as well. The file names is: Fullscreenwithoutlabels.doc.  You should notice the full page window of thumbnails no longer has the directory labels at the top. Using a full screen makes several directories at once impossible to select.  I know this may be caused by Lightroom, Photoshop and / or Winamp (which is the combination that seems make this happen), but it's full screen Photo Mechanic that is disabled. You advice is welcome.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »
Kirk,

There is nothing wrong with the jpg file I sent you. Notice it is only 1/2 of a window size. the Full window version, which does not show the directory labels at the top, could not be pasted into a new photoshop image. The "edit / paste" selection was greyed out. However, I could get Microsoft Word to accept a "Paste" into their document. This document was sent with my prior post. I will attach it to this post as well. The file names is: Fullscreenwithoutlabels.doc.  You should notice the full page window of thumbnails no longer has the directory labels at the top. Using a full screen makes several directories at once impossible to select.  I know this may be caused by Lightroom, Photoshop and / or Winamp (which is the combination that seems make this happen), but it's full screen Photo Mechanic that is disabled. You advice is welcome.

Can't you do a Ctrl-PrtScn and then Ctrl-N in Photoshop followed by Ctrl-V in the new Photoshop document window?  That should take a fullscreen grab placing it in the Clipboard, and then in Photoshop creating a new document and pasting it in.  You should then be able to flatten the image and save it as a JPEG.

I don't have Microsoft Word so I'll need that screenshot that illustrates the problem.

-Kirk

Offline scregl@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »
Yesterday, I tried Ctl-PrtSCr, photoshop Ctl-N and Ctl-V without success for the full screen without directory labels. The Ctl-N did not create a new image that used the clipboard to determine the image size. Then the Ctl-V and edit/paste produced no image. That is why I created the word document.

Today, I tried it again and I was able to get an image, but it was a corrupted image. It was a b/w version of the screen shot.  I have attached fullscreenwithoutlabels.jpg for you to review. I doubt this will be any help.

Finally,  I printed yesterday's word document: Fullscreenwithoutlabels.doc and then scanned it.  This produces the screen shot image of Photo Mechanic when the directory labels disappear.  The scanned jpg is attached: fullscreenwithoutlabels-scanned.jpg.   I hope this helps.

p.s.  Photo Mechanic seems to be a little resistant to this problem if it's the first program started after a re-boot, at least for a while. Maybe this is a useful clue.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 05:10:54 PM »
Yesterday, I tried Ctl-PrtSCr, photoshop Ctl-N and Ctl-V without success for the full screen without directory labels. The Ctl-N did not create a new image that used the clipboard to determine the image size. Then the Ctl-V and edit/paste produced no image. That is why I created the word document.

Today, I tried it again and I was able to get an image, but it was a corrupted image. It was a b/w version of the screen shot.  I have attached fullscreenwithoutlabels.jpg for you to review. I doubt this will be any help.

Finally,  I printed yesterday's word document: Fullscreenwithoutlabels.doc and then scanned it.  This produces the screen shot image of Photo Mechanic when the directory labels disappear.  The scanned jpg is attached: fullscreenwithoutlabels-scanned.jpg.   I hope this helps.

p.s.  Photo Mechanic seems to be a little resistant to this problem if it's the first program started after a re-boot, at least for a while. Maybe this is a useful clue.

It sounds like a graphics card driver issue.  Or maybe a problem with your RAM or motherboard.

I am certain that no one else is getting this problem.  Please contact support@camerabits.com and they'll be happy to troubleshoot this issue with you directly.

-Kirk