Author Topic: Code replacement tip  (Read 4171 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Code replacement tip
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »
Just read Kirk's article on code replacements:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1951

and I thought I'd share my CR tip that helps answer "how can I speed up my workflow?"

One thing I dislike about CR is that it requires a delimiter character.  I understand that the delimiter eliminates ambiguity, but if my CR code is z104, then this is pretty clearly a code and requiring delimiters just adds 50% more keystrokes.

My style of sports shooting is to focus on one athlete.  As a result, most of my photos require a single CR where I identify the athlete and usually include some other information like the team.  In these cases I place the jersey or bib number in the Caption Writers field (just about any field should work).  After I've keyed in all the data, I then use the Stationery Pad to set the Headline field to \{captionwriter}\ and this fills in the Headline field with the CR text.

This leaves me with the jersey/bib number in the Caption Writers field and the CR text in the Headline field, both of which I can use to sort my photos.  A sort by headline is an easy way to catch typos in the Caption Writers field as miskeyed jersey/bib numbers will usually have "\\" as the Headline text.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code replacement tip
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:02:07 AM »
Deven,

Just read Kirk's article on code replacements:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1951

and I thought I'd share my CR tip that helps answer "how can I speed up my workflow?"

One thing I dislike about CR is that it requires a delimiter character.  I understand that the delimiter eliminates ambiguity, but if my CR code is z104, then this is pretty clearly a code and requiring delimiters just adds 50% more keystrokes.

My style of sports shooting is to focus on one athlete.  As a result, most of my photos require a single CR where I identify the athlete and usually include some other information like the team.  In these cases I place the jersey or bib number in the Caption Writers field (just about any field should work).  After I've keyed in all the data, I then use the Stationery Pad to set the Headline field to \{captionwriter}\ and this fills in the Headline field with the CR text.

This leaves me with the jersey/bib number in the Caption Writers field and the CR text in the Headline field, both of which I can use to sort my photos.  A sort by headline is an easy way to catch typos in the Caption Writers field as miskeyed jersey/bib numbers will usually have "\\" as the Headline text.

If we didn't use delimiter characters, then your technique of using \{captionwriter}\ would be harder to implement, and moreover your mistyped codes wouldn't result in "\\" which makes it easy to find errors in code entry.

The original point of using delimiter characters was to keep the implementation simple and most of all, fast.  We didn't want to have to spend a lot of time scanning the text field for dozens of possible matches, constantly looking them up each time you pressed a key.  Otherwise every word you type would be a possible code and would have to be looked up.  With delimiters, all we have to do is find words surrounded by the delimiters and then look them up.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope you understand the reasons behind needing a delimiter character for Code Replacement.

-Kirk