Author Topic: Closed: "Filmstrip" behaviour  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Closed: "Filmstrip" behaviour
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:02:17 AM »
Something that has always bothered me was the way the "filmstrip" at the bottom of the preview window always keeps the selected image in the middle.  This is particularly annoying when you are comparing images that are not next to each other (then one could use the next/prev keys).

Instead of being able to click at the same location on the screen to get the other image(s), the location you have to click changes based on the image currently in view.  Worse, it makes it impossible to select images that are more than a number of images apart.

So here's my request: could the selected image stay at the same location in the filmstrip where it was before you selected it?  (i.e., not automatically move the horizontal slider to have the selected image in the centre)

Thanks,
    Hayo
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:20:35 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Filmstrip" behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 07:11:38 AM »
Hayo,

Something that has always bothered me was the way the "filmstrip" at the bottom of the preview window always keeps the selected image in the middle.  This is particularly annoying when you are comparing images that are not next to each other (then one could use the next/prev keys).

Instead of being able to click at the same location on the screen to get the other image(s), the location you have to click changes based on the image currently in view.  Worse, it makes it impossible to select images that are more than a number of images apart.

So here's my request: could the selected image stay at the same location in the filmstrip where it was before you selected it?  (i.e., not automatically move the horizontal slider to have the selected image in the centre)

I am planning to make the current behavior be a preference checkbox.  When turned off, the centering behavior will no longer occur.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »
For those of us with two monitors it would be very nice to have the contact sheet open in one monitor and and preview window in another and be able to navigate in the preview window by clicking on the contact sheet.  Right now, the preview window is modal so the contact sheet is not accessible.  In this two monitor configuration, the filmstrip in the preview window would not be necessary.  This kind of setup would make navigation easier.

A minor two monitor annoyance with the current version of PM is that if you have the contact sheet open in on one monitor, the preview window open in the other monitor, and you open another app (typically your editor) that covers up the preview window, I always find myself clicking on the contact sheet to activate PM, but this doesn't work.  You either have to minimize the app that is covering the preview window or click on PM in the status bar.

Deven

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 01:22:59 PM »

I am planning to make the current behavior be a preference checkbox.  When turned off, the centering behavior will no longer occur.

Excellent! (as always   8))
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »

That will be great. As Hayo said, often this feature can be quite frustrating. Reviewing/comparing photos while while flying back from Ironman Arizona yesterday would have been much nicer if I could have turned this off.

-Ian
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:51:46 PM by IanGoldstein »

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:33:35 PM »
For those of us with two monitors it would be very nice to have the contact sheet open in one monitor and and preview window in another and be able to navigate in the preview window by clicking on the contact sheet.  Right now, the preview window is modal so the contact sheet is not accessible.  In this two monitor configuration, the filmstrip in the preview window would not be necessary.  This kind of setup would make navigation easier.

Really good idea, and it doesn't just work with two monitors. Even with one monitor, especially a large one, this would be useful as you could resize both the preview window and the contact sheet to each take up half the monitor space. This would definitely be much more useful than the current filmstrip in the preview window.

Cheers,

Paul