Author Topic: PM 4.4.3.3 won't open  (Read 5648 times)

Offline pmal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.4.3.3 won't open
« on: April 13, 2008, 09:36:21 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I have a problem where PM will no longer open.  I bought v4.0 on CD a couple of years ago.  I updated with each new release during until v.4.4.3.3.
Recently I received a trojan message from my virus software pointing toward "...ruby ..." something or other in PM.  Even though I suspected a false warning, I needed PM that day.  I uninstalled PM, then reinstalled PM from CD.  I then updated with v.4.4.3.3 ... I did not still have the intermediate versions.  Same virus message.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled with ONLY the CD version 4.0.  No virus message.  And, unfortunately, none of the features I've come to depend on in the updates.

Later, I tried to update to 4.4.3.3 (thinking that the virus software - AVG free edition - might have been fixed with an update.  It worked this time and no trojan message.

HOWEVER ... If I shut the program down it will not re-load ... it tells me there are "missing files".  I could send a screen shot if that would help.  I wonder if the problem is because I did not load (do not still have) the entire sequence of updates leading from the CD version 4.0 to the last update I was eligible for v4.4.3.3 ???

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

--Pat

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.4.3.3 won't open
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »
Pat,

I have a problem where PM will no longer open.  I bought v4.0 on CD a couple of years ago.  I updated with each new release during until v.4.4.3.3.
Recently I received a trojan message from my virus software pointing toward "...ruby ..." something or other in PM.  Even though I suspected a false warning, I needed PM that day.  I uninstalled PM, then reinstalled PM from CD.  I then updated with v.4.4.3.3 ... I did not still have the intermediate versions.  Same virus message.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled with ONLY the CD version 4.0.  No virus message.  And, unfortunately, none of the features I've come to depend on in the updates.

Later, I tried to update to 4.4.3.3 (thinking that the virus software - AVG free edition - might have been fixed with an update.  It worked this time and no trojan message.

HOWEVER ... If I shut the program down it will not re-load ... it tells me there are "missing files".  I could send a screen shot if that would help.  I wonder if the problem is because I did not load (do not still have) the entire sequence of updates leading from the CD version 4.0 to the last update I was eligible for v4.4.3.3 ???

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Each installer is fully self-contained and does not depend on earlier releases being installed.

I would do a full uninstall of Photo Mechanic until it no longer shows up in the Add/Remove Programs control panel, and then do a restart of Windows.  Then install PM 4.4.3.3 again.  Ignore any virus warnings for PM.  I can guarantee that it does not have any trojan horses or viruses in it.

If you continue to have problems getting PM to run on your system contact support@camerabits.com or call 503-547-2888 and speak with our support technicians directly.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 06:27:27 AM »
I've had this same trojan message in the same location twice in the past few days.  Reinstall worked ok first time - will be trying second time in a few moments.  Can Photo mechanic not be targeted by malicious idiots ?   Has AVG got it wrong - should I just ignore reports ?  Cheers

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »
I've had this same trojan message in the same location twice in the past few days.  Reinstall worked ok first time - will be trying second time in a few moments.  Can Photo mechanic not be targeted by malicious idiots ?   Has AVG got it wrong - should I just ignore reports ?  Cheers

AVG is giving you a false positive.  There is no trojan horse in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 01:46:54 AM »
Thank you for that.  PM timing out again this morning. I haven't run AVG to see if it's reporting again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:38:52 AM »
Thank you for that.  PM timing out again this morning. I haven't run AVG to see if it's reporting again.

If AVG is removing our Ruby library then it won't start up anymore.  Reinstalling PM should replace the missing file.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
Second install today - any simple way to stop this occurring ? I do value AVG protection - haven't asked for file removal today I don't think.  Presumably when it finds a "false trojan" it removes the host file ? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »
Second install today - any simple way to stop this occurring ? I do value AVG protection - haven't asked for file removal today I don't think.  Presumably when it finds a "false trojan" it removes the host file ? 

I don't know for sure, but if the file is missing then something on your system is removing it.

-Kirk