Author Topic: 2 requests for the Preview window  (Read 6745 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
2 requests for the Preview window
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »
Hi,

1. When looking at the Info picked up from the image: The info reported for "Lens (mm)" is the focal length used on a zoom lens. Is it possible to add the info on what the lens is? For example, I have a 24-70mm lens and a 70-200mm lens. At 70mm I can't know which lens it was taken with. Same goes for my fixed focal length lenses when they overlap a zoom's range. I can get this by looking at the file's metadata in Bridge (or opening the image in Photoshop), but I want to avoid needlessly moving between the 2 apps.

2. I sometimes what to change the file name while I'm in the Preview window (for example, based on the metadata which I can see there), so I wish there was an easy way to change the file's name while in the Preview window. I see there is File>Rename Photos, but this doesn't pick up the existing name. I could retype the files name with the changes I want, but this is rather cumbersome and too likely to lead to user errors. Did I miss how to do this, or is this a possible feature request? Again, I can do this while looking at the file's metadata in Bridge, but I want to avoid needlessly moving between the 2 apps. Even an option with the current Rename Photos panel to reset the dialog box to the existing name would be a help.

Thanks for all your work on this great app!

Ric Cohn

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
Re: 2 requests for the Preview window
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:21:43 PM »
1. When looking at the Info picked up from the image: The info reported for "Lens (mm)" is the focal length used on a zoom lens. Is it possible to add the info on what the lens is? For example, I have a 24-70mm lens and a 70-200mm lens. At 70mm I can't know which lens it was taken with. Same goes for my fixed focal length lenses when they overlap a zoom's range. I can get this by looking at the file's metadata in Bridge (or opening the image in Photoshop), but I want to avoid needlessly moving between the 2 apps.

There is a {lenstype} variable (or {lt} for short) which will give you this information. You can read more about it in this post from last year: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1597.0

As far as I know, it only works for Canon and Nikon right now. I don't know if additional code was added for other brands yet.

-Ian

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »
There is a {lenstype} variable (or {lt} for short) which will give you this information. You can read more about it in this post from last year: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1597.0
-Ian

Ian, Thanks for the info. I see it's been discussed before. I now know how to get the lens info into the Info Panel, which is way cool. However, it still doesn't address the fact that this info isn't shown in the Preview Window, where most of the other useful metadata is summarized.

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »
Ric,

-Ian

Ian, Thanks for the info. I see it's been discussed before. I now know how to get the lens info into the Info Panel, which is way cool. However, it still doesn't address the fact that this info isn't shown in the Preview Window, where most of the other useful metadata is summarized.

Use the Set Info Text... command on the Edit menu and you can add any additional variables you would like to see in the Preview window.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 07:47:58 AM »
Use the Set Info Text... command on the Edit menu and you can add any additional variables you would like to see in the Preview window.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk! The depth and flexibility of Photo Mechanic continues to impress me.

Now, how about improvements to changing file names from the Preview window?

Ric