Author Topic: Sequence snapshot ?  (Read 4294 times)

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
Sequence snapshot ?
« on: April 20, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »
Hello Kirk,

I came upon a little twitch today when I decided I would rename on ingest my files.

Basically I want my files to be renamed with my initials followed immediately by the {dats} variable and a sequence. The problem arise when I upload to FTP because my rename string (for ftp as upload) is made of a sequence that I reset every morning, so I know how many pictures I transmitted on a given day. This will then conflict with a second ingest later in my day, because it’ll grab the sequence from the ftp rename string.

Is there anyway we could get around that ? I’m thinking of a sequence snapshot that could be customized for different needs (ingest, rename for example) that would also keep track of where it’s at.

e.g.  I ingest 154 images in the morning, ideally I’d like the rename string to go from …_0001 to …_0154. Then I edit and ftp 4 images from this session, I’d like the rename string to go from   …_01 to  …_04 for my 4 “ftp’ed” images. On a second ingest I’d like the sequence to start at …_155 and on the second ftp session, I’d like the rename to start at …_05 and so on. I would then reset once in the morning and go on during the day.

Let me know if it can be done and hopefully easily implemented.

Best regards,

Hugo-S. Aubert

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sequence snapshot ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
Hugo,

I came upon a little twitch today when I decided I would rename on ingest my files.

Basically I want my files to be renamed with my initials followed immediately by the {dats} variable and a sequence. The problem arise when I upload to FTP because my rename string (for ftp as upload) is made of a sequence that I reset every morning, so I know how many pictures I transmitted on a given day. This will then conflict with a second ingest later in my day, because it’ll grab the sequence from the ftp rename string.

Is there anyway we could get around that ? I’m thinking of a sequence snapshot that could be customized for different needs (ingest, rename for example) that would also keep track of where it’s at.

e.g.  I ingest 154 images in the morning, ideally I’d like the rename string to go from …_0001 to …_0154. Then I edit and ftp 4 images from this session, I’d like the rename string to go from   …_01 to  …_04 for my 4 “ftp’ed” images. On a second ingest I’d like the sequence to start at …_155 and on the second ftp session, I’d like the rename to start at …_05 and so on. I would then reset once in the morning and go on during the day.

Let me know if it can be done and hopefully easily implemented.

There is only one sequence variable.  It does not 'belong' to any one feature like FTP As, Ingest, Rename or Save As.  What you're wanting to do would be best served by having more than one sequence variable.

What you're wanting to do is just not possible at this time.

-Kirk

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
Re: Sequence snapshot ?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:01:02 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the reply, I understood the process and was expecting your answer…  :'(

Hugo