Author Topic: {filename} during ingest  (Read 8935 times)

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
{filename} during ingest
« on: April 18, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »
I use {filename} in the caption field in the IPTC to apply during ingest.  This makes generating JAlbum web albums that show the file name easier.  I noticed that after ingest, the caption field contains the name of the file from the camera instead of the renamed file name.  (i.e. the IPTC must be getting applied before the rename is done).  Is there a way to get the new filename into the IPTC during ingest without having to reapply the stationery?

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: {filename} during ingest
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:45:26 AM »
Danny,

I use {filename} in the caption field in the IPTC to apply during ingest.  This makes generating JAlbum web albums that show the file name easier.  I noticed that after ingest, the caption field contains the name of the file from the camera instead of the renamed file name.  (i.e. the IPTC must be getting applied before the rename is done).  Is there a way to get the new filename into the IPTC during ingest without having to reapply the stationery?

No, there is no way to get the renamed name into the IPTC data during the Ingest.  You can apply a second IPTC Stationery Pad using {filename} after the files are Ingested and that will work.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:47:31 AM »
Danny,

Is there a way to get the new filename into the IPTC during ingest without having to reapply the stationery?

No, there is no way to get the renamed name into the IPTC data during the Ingest.  You can apply a second IPTC Stationery Pad using {filename} after the files are Ingested and that will work.

-Kirk

Of course there IS a way!
You should put your rename string (set on the ingest dialog to be used for renaming your files) into the IPTC field instead of the {filename} variable.
However this won't work (properly) if you have a {seqn} variable in the renaming string, since it increases on every use so the filename and its use in the IPTC wouldn't match.

I usually use the 4 digits from the camera just change the strings before and add some after them. This way I can put the new filename into the IPTC on ingest.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:19:05 AM »

You should put your rename string (set on the ingest dialog to be used for renaming your files) into the IPTC field instead of the {filename} variable.
However this won't work (properly) if you have a {seqn} variable in the renaming string, since it increases on every use so the filename and its use in the IPTC wouldn't match.

I usually use the 4 digits from the camera just change the strings before and add some after them. This way I can put the new filename into the IPTC on ingest.

I too wish there was an easy way to have the IPTC Stationary pick up the new name rather than the camera's file name. Can you explain the above a little more-- I'm slow.

Kirk, would it be possible to create a new Variable that designates the renamed file name instead of the camera's file name? Or maybe an additional script that automatically go back and renames this one field at the end of ingest??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:02:36 AM »
Ric,

I too wish there was an easy way to have the IPTC Stationary pick up the new name rather than the camera's file name. Can you explain the above a little more-- I'm slow.

Kirk, would it be possible to create a new Variable that designates the renamed file name instead of the camera's file name? Or maybe an additional script that automatically go back and renames this one field at the end of ingest??

Adding a {renamedfilename} variable is something we would like to do.  It unfortunately is not easy because of things like filename collision resolution causing the name to change after the IPTC Stationery Pad has already been applied.  And since Ingest is fully interactive, we can't just run a final IPTC Stationery Pad apply while you're in the middle of doing something else.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »

Adding a {renamedfilename} variable is something we would like to do.  It unfortunately is not easy because of things like filename collision resolution causing the name to change after the IPTC Stationery Pad has already been applied.  And since Ingest is fully interactive, we can't just run a final IPTC Stationery Pad apply while you're in the middle of doing something else.

-Kirk

Kirk,  so there is a possibility you can add this variable? After all "not easy" isn't the same as "not possible". <bg> I have faith in you. Please make this a feature request. Thanks!

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:36:11 AM »
Ric,

Kirk,  so there is a possibility you can add this variable? After all "not easy" isn't the same as "not possible". <bg> I have faith in you. Please make this a feature request. Thanks!

It has been requested many times.  When we think of a way to make it possible we will implement it.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 11:36:58 AM »

Well I usually rename my images to have the date in the first 6 digits and 4 digit numbering after that followed by a letter identifying the camera body I used (since original camera numbering could conflict each other with the more bodies and it may be informative to see from filename which body I shot an image, especially when resolutions, crop factor or camera positioning if using remotes can carry a lot of information to you).

So my renaming string during ingest is usually last letter either set manually or automated with a special code replacement from camera serial number (but this part is not a topic here so I don't start long explaining this).
{year2}{month0}{day0}{frame4}a
{year2}{month0}{day0}{frame4}b

So the string I use in the ingest rename field can be simply used in the desired field of IPTC to have the new filename in IPTC as well. Actually I do use it in 3 different fields including the caption.

This method doesn't work if you use a {seqn} variable since it increases value every time you use it!

I usually ingest all images from all cards and if shooting on the same assignment with more than one bodies I do a capture time sort and rename the images to have a continous numbering in time order. In this case my IPTC will mismatch the filenames so I have to do an extra step reapplying the IPTC with {fbas}. But I'm a lazy guy so I tend not to rename them if not necessary. PM can allways sort me in any way after all...
,-)))

I hope this explains it more, but feel free to ask if not.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com