Author Topic: Are new labels/ratings created in Bridge compatible in PM ?  (Read 3913 times)

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Are new labels/ratings created in Bridge compatible in PM ?
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »
I like to do my initial edit in PM, then after working on the files in Bridge and Camera Raw I re colour label them before checking through the remaining files in PM. However I find that the changes to the colour label does not show when I go back to PM. The same happens if I change the rating.

Is this an incompatibility between Bridge and PM or have I missed something in the Preferences ? I have Color Classes 1-5 labelled the same as in Bridge and have set "Add tag,color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP" to "For all photos"

Yes, there probably is a better workflow but for the present need something that isn't a major change to my jpeg workflow.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Are new labels/ratings created in Bridge compatible in PM ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »
I like to do my initial edit in PM, then after working on the files in Bridge and Camera Raw I re colour label them before checking through the remaining files in PM. However I find that the changes to the colour label does not show when I go back to PM. The same happens if I change the rating.

Is this an incompatibility between Bridge and PM or have I missed something in the Preferences ? I have Color Classes 1-5 labelled the same as in Bridge and have set "Add tag,color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP" to "For all photos"

Yes, there probably is a better workflow but for the present need something that isn't a major change to my jpeg workflow.

Sounds like you have most of your settings correct.  Just make sure that PM reads XMP before IPTC since Bridge only stores that information in the XMP data.  If you're working with RAW files, make sure you read the XMP Sidecar file first.

-Kirk

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:34:53 PM »
Thanks Kirk. Problem solved.

Offline mattsloan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 01:19:45 PM »
what about the other way around. i searched for this information but couldn't find it.

if i label/rate in PM and look at them in Bridge, they don't come up. (i am on Bridge CS3 and PM 4.5.3.2)

does the rating stay the side car xmp or the embeded xmp?

i read that changing the search order will help?

1st embeded xmp
2nd IPTC
3rd sidecar xmp

i am confused!

Offline mattsloan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
i just added a tag color and now they all show up. but if there is no color, then there is no star rating...

hmmm????

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »
what about the other way around. i searched for this information but couldn't find it.

if i label/rate in PM and look at them in Bridge, they don't come up. (i am on Bridge CS3 and PM 4.5.3.2)

does the rating stay the side car xmp or the embeded xmp?

i read that changing the search order will help?

1st embeded xmp
2nd IPTC
3rd sidecar xmp

i am confused!

If you're using Adobe products with RAW files, never embed XMP.  Adobe's software won't update embedded XMP data.

-Kirk