Author Topic: Can PM images be opened in Canon's DPP?  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Al

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can PM images be opened in Canon's DPP?
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:34:58 AM »
Hi,

I know images can be opened in Photoshop, etc.  But, I've followed the directions in the manual, and have not been successful in getting them to open in Digital Photo Professional (DPP from Canon).  Typically I'm trying to convert RAW image(s), or edit JPEG(s), that have been starred in PM.  Is there a way to open them in DPP without having to open DPP itself and then find the folder? 

Thanks, Al.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can PM images be opened in Canon's DPP?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:48 AM »
Al,

I know images can be opened in Photoshop, etc.  But, I've followed the directions in the manual, and have not been successful in getting them to open in Digital Photo Professional (DPP from Canon).  Typically I'm trying to convert RAW image(s), or edit JPEG(s), that have been starred in PM.  Is there a way to open them in DPP without having to open DPP itself and then find the folder? 

Unfortunately DPP is quite ignorant of images being sent to it.  It always wants to open the last folder you used with it.  I've tried every way I can think of to send it images directly but nothing works.

Sorry.

-Kirk

Offline Al

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:02:35 AM »
OK, Thanks for the fast reply!  Al.

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »
Any news on getting DPP to work better with PM? I have set DPPViewer.exe as an editor in PM but that will only launch DPP with one specific image up for editing, and there is no way to get the thumbs to display. (usually the Zoombrowser behaviour is better for me, ie just open the relevant folder for browsing).

Used to use ZB with Raw Image Task up to now as its faster to work with then ACR+Bridge or Lightroom, and generates great looking JPGs at default settings, but now with Canon 5D markII Raw Image Task is no longer supported, so I have to switch to DPP I guess......(not fun...).

Rgds
PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »
Any news on getting DPP to work better with PM? I have set DPPViewer.exe as an editor in PM but that will only launch DPP with one specific image up for editing, and there is no way to get the thumbs to display. (usually the Zoombrowser behaviour is better for me, ie just open the relevant folder for browsing).

Used to use ZB with Raw Image Task up to now as its faster to work with then ACR+Bridge or Lightroom, and generates great looking JPGs at default settings, but now with Canon 5D markII Raw Image Task is no longer supported, so I have to switch to DPP I guess......(not fun...).

The short answer is no.

The ball is in Canon's court to make DPP act like just about every other app that does something intelligent when a set of files are dragged and dropped onto it.

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »
OK, thanks. DPP really is awful, but now with the 5DmkII there are so many features not covered by ACR etc so I guess I will have to learn to live with it. I am actually considering starting to shoot JPG only again now.... The RAW files are too big and the JPGs look so much better (unless you use DPP, or are prepared to fiddle with the controls for each image in ACR)...
Rgds
PM