Author Topic: Where is Metadata written?  (Read 3895 times)

Offline geohsia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Where is Metadata written?
« on: April 23, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
Where is Metadata written?  Can  write metadata (keywords) directly into the ORF (Olympus RAW file)?  I know Lightroom does it, but only for DNG's.  I use Silkypix as my RAW developer and I want the final JPG to include my metadata.  Can that be done using Photo Mechanic?

Thanks.

George

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where is Metadata written?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »
George,

Where is Metadata written?

It depends on the file format and the settings in the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog.  JPEG, TIFF, PSD, and DNG always embed IPTC and/or XMP directly into the file.

RAW files can be setup to embed IPTC and/or XMP into the RAW file directly or XMP sidecar files can be used.

Quote from: geohsia
Can  write metadata (keywords) directly into the ORF (Olympus RAW file)?

Yes, you can embed IPTC and/or XMP into ORF files with Photo Mechanic.

I know Lightroom does it, but only for DNG's.  I use Silkypix as my RAW developer and I want the final JPG to include my metadata.  Can that be done using Photo Mechanic?

If you save your generated JPEG with the same base name (the filename without the ORF/JPG extension) then Photo Mechanic can sync the metadata from the ORF file into the JPEG.  Use the "Update IPTC/XMP" command on the Tools menu.  Your image pairs need to be in the same folder, or you need to open the two folders together in a single Contact Sheet tab.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline geohsia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:47:16 PM »
HI Kirk,
   Thanks.  That was very helpful.  Sounds like I don't need Lightroom for metadata.  If I write metadata into my RAW file, once I create the JPG, shouldn't that file automatically include the metadata?
   Also, is there a database that PhtoMechanic uses to catalog or keep track of all files and metadata?  When I search, do I search against the index?  How does it handle files/directories that are archived.  I'm going to be on the road for about a year and will be archiving folders to external hard drives.  I do want one master database that can track all of my photos.  I can re-attach HDD's as needed to pull up the image.  Can Photomechanic support searching of files that are offline?  Thanks.

George

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »
George,

Thanks.  That was very helpful.  Sounds like I don't need Lightroom for metadata.  If I write metadata into my RAW file, once I create the JPG, shouldn't that file automatically include the metadata?

It depends on the software that generates the JPEGs from the RAW files.  Some apps completely ignore caption data in RAW files and do not carry it through to the JPEG.  You'll just have to test this with SilkyPix.

Also, is there a database that PhtoMechanic uses to catalog or keep track of all files and metadata?  When I search, do I search against the index?  How does it handle files/directories that are archived.  I'm going to be on the road for about a year and will be archiving folders to external hard drives.  I do want one master database that can track all of my photos.  I can re-attach HDD's as needed to pull up the image.  Can Photomechanic support searching of files that are offline?  Thanks.

Photo Mechanic does not currently catalog any information in a database.  We are working on a cataloging feature for Photo Mechanic right now.

-Kirk

Offline geohsia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:31:03 AM »
Photo Mechanic does not currently catalog any information in a database.  We are working on a cataloging feature for Photo Mechanic right now.
Interesting.  I guess searching right now is against open collections. The database for tracking multiple collections is critical for me.  I'd love to be a beta tester if that option is available.  Thanks.

George